Idea

Option to make an entire object a clickable hyperlink

• 14 September 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I use the Link to very often. While the current functionality of having little blue arrow at the top-right corner of an object function as the clickable hyperlink is absolutely sufficient, there are times when I could like to make the entire object clickable.

Example of the current solution using a button from the wireframe library (my use case):

What I would like to have happen is

• the cursor turns into a pointer; and
  • be able click activate the link by clicking anywhere on the object.

Example:

I would like to see this new option be available for any object to a Link can be applied.

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Currently when I create a link on an object - be it a picture or a button I created using the oval shape it will display a small blue arrow on the object. If the picture is big this arrow can be tiny and participants find it hard to click on it. 

I’d like the option to have an entire object be a link - that way they can click anywhere on it and buttons actually function as buttons or that book cover I pasted in would not just have a tiny arrow on the top right corner to get to the online retailer of choice to purchase it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I agree. It can sometimes interfere with the look of an image to have that arrow hovering over it...In my use case, I never need the arrow...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Another example…

Instead of this:

I want this (even with a slight halo effect):

Because with the way links work right now, look what happens when I create a leftward facing arrow:

How ridiculous looking is that?!

Luckily @Jonathan White show me this little trick:

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Simple but effective, my favorite types of trick @Robert Johnson!

The way that little white arrow adjusts size based on your zoom level makes it hard to see the link sometimes or know what to click. Having linkable shapes is so needed.

One challenge that would exist here is people who maybe want to move or resize a linked shape, they might click the link by accident. Maybe to activate the linked shape, you have to do a long click, similar to unlocking locked items. This way, there would be much less accidental clicking and more purposeful uses of linked shapes.

I created an account only to vote this up. I wonder why it hasen’t been introduced in the very draft of Miro.

Cheers

Badge

This is a great idea.  I have a User Guide/Getting Started Board for all my users.  I’d love a section with “buttons” for them to click to move around.  Right now I have a text list with links - but as you know it’s a two click thing.

I also hope the entire button/image can be a hyperlink, not a small arrow that hardly sees and click. Was there any update regarding this so far?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

+1 This feature would be a much better experience!

Badge +1

Completely agree with the topic.

Why not making the whole object interactive and having a “link” symbol instead of the “Arrow” one to warn about the object’s interactivity ? 

That would greatly simplify my interactive map project.  :)

I have also experienced arrow “pointing in the wrong direction” after manipulating shapes. Making the whole object interactive would deal with this problem. 

Thanks Miro ! 

Badge +2

Links needs to be available on all objects.
I don’t understand the limitations that exclude these from the shapes, table etc.

Badge +2

I think this will be useful. 

However there may be occasion(s) when we need 1 to N linkage. 

Badge

I use the frame list to navigate and a simple evolution would be to have smaller shortcut buttons based on it.

It would be lovely being able to drag your frame name on the board. In one drag you would have a clickable link. Very efficient!