Easily involve teams in decision-making with our improved Voting

• 14 October 2021
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello, Miro Community! We are excited to share that today we have launched a new and improved voting experience to help you easily involve teams in decision-making. 

With Miro’s improved voting app, we’ve made it easier and faster for meeting and workshop facilitators to get a sense of how the group feels about a variety of options.

• Quick and easy for facilitators as well as participants

• Customize the voting process by selecting specific objects to vote on 

• Voting results are visible within just a few seconds after the session ends

Visit the Help Center to learn more and use voting to make sure everyone has a voice.

Jennifer Yzelman 2 years ago

Hi community,

Before you go off to spend the holiday season with your loved ones, we wanted to share some good news about voting! :snowman:

We’ve been working hard on making improvements to the voting experience based on the feedback you provided like easier setup of selection of objects to vote on and more customization of your voting session.

As part of this ongoing effort, we’re excited that we’ve already released the following updates:

• Edit the session name once voting is done

• Give a maximum of 99 votes per participant

Stay tuned as we make further improvements to voting to help you better involve teams in decision making, including increasing the duration of your voting session to a maximum of 9 days and ability to save voting sessions for later.

We look forward to continuing working with you in 2022!

Happy holidays :christmas_tree::sparkles:

Jenny

View original

39 replies

Userlevel 2

While the ability to select items on which to vote is improved, I REALLY miss two aspects of voting that now seem gone:

1. The ability to pre-configure a voting session (save for later)
  2. The ability to name a voting session

I use Miro for workshops of up to 16h (over several days). One of my workshop boards has over 150 pre-configured frames, with up to 25 breakout exercises running over 5 ‘table teams’.  Another has over 125 over 5 table teams with slightly fewer breakouts.

Having voting sessions pre-configured for those parts of the workshop where students are indicating preferences makes for MUCH better flow - vs them having to watch me configure a voting session.

Being able to name a saved session helps for later quick access and reference to that specific session, rather than having to hunt and peck … “was that one Voting 5?  or Voting 7?”

Honestly, this degrades the voting function to about the level that simply having students use the pen and place dots on stickies could be more useful.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

YES @Bernie - These are critical losses.  I had a near disaster in my last session when I discovered that voting had changed and my previously set up voting session no longer existed.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Gábor Péter Kertes 

Thank you for following on this and we appreciate your patience as our team looks into this. As of now we do not have any updates to share on timing but we will continue to share this feedback with our product team as they asses features on their product roadmap.

But please note that although saving votes using the voting app standalone on the board isn’t possible, you can set up & save voting sessions by using Smart Meetings. 

I have recorded a Loom video showing you how to do that: 

https://www.loom.com/share/5f13438cd0fb45a9af420f829a27af40

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I echo that the time limit is an important and very disappointing DOWNGRADE. Not only that, but I’m in the middle of firefighting with a team who expected to have the weekend prior to a leadership meeting to complete this voting.

With zoom fatigue, it is extremely helpful to allow team the advance time to vote on issues so we can use the in-person time for discussions.

Please re-evaluate. I’m also curious where I should have heard that this was coming??? Did I miss an email? I would suggest that a downgrade of the service should have been made more obvious in advance.

In general, I love the platform, but this is a big issue for my teams.

Thank you!

Kathy

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Jennifer Yzelman :

Months ago we (many users of the community including @Kiron Bondale  and myself) forwarded the 99 minute maximum in the timer to the support.

Can you give us any updates … it would be great if you can give us any answers to this :pray:

Michael

Userlevel 4

The key benefit of a long voting session is this lends itself well to asynchronous working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

To add to @Jennifer Yzelman’s reply, a few notes re Smart Meetings

• As of this reply, Smart Meetings is still in beta;
  • it is not available on the Free or Starter plans;
  • and only the board owner/co-owner can use the feature.

Userlevel 4

Hi community,

Before you go off to spend the holiday season with your loved ones, we wanted to share some good news about voting! :snowman:

We’ve been working hard on making improvements to the voting experience based on the feedback you provided like easier setup of selection of objects to vote on and more customization of your voting session.

As part of this ongoing effort, we’re excited that we’ve already released the following updates:

• Edit the session name once voting is done

• Give a maximum of 99 votes per participant

Stay tuned as we make further improvements to voting to help you better involve teams in decision making, including increasing the duration of your voting session to a maximum of 9 days and ability to save voting sessions for later.

We look forward to continuing working with you in 2022!

Happy holidays :christmas_tree::sparkles:

Jenny

Userlevel 4

Thank you for adding those notes @Robert Johnson 

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I echo that the time limit is an important and very disappointing DOWNGRADE. Not only that, but I’m in the middle of firefighting with a team who expected to have the weekend prior to a leadership meeting to complete this voting.

With zoom fatigue, it is extremely helpful to allow team the advance time to vote on issues so we can use the in-person time for discussions.

Please re-evaluate. I’m also curious where I should have heard that this was coming??? Did I miss an email? I would suggest that a downgrade of the service should have been made more obvious in advance.

In general, I love the platform, but this is a big issue for my teams.

Thank you!

Kathy

...and, I should have said that the loss of the ability to preconfigure the vote is also problematic.

These voting features were both super-critical. Thank you!

Userlevel 1

Hello, Miro Community! We are excited to share that today we have launched a new and improved voting experience to help you easily involve teams in decision-making. 

With Miro’s improved voting app, we’ve made it easier and faster for meeting and workshop facilitators to get a sense of how the group feels about a variety of options.

• Quick and easy for facilitators as well as participants

• Customize the voting process by selecting specific objects to vote on 

• Voting results are visible within just a few seconds after the session ends

Visit the Help Center to learn more and use voting to make sure everyone has a voice.

Hi, I just used this new version in real-time with a team and it did not work. As soon as I clicked on the Miro board, the results flashed for a second then disappeared. Since the developers deleted the ability to pull up past votes, everything was lost with the team on zoom. Not great to say the least.

The voting app was terrific as it was. This experience this week with Miro has put me in a tough position with my client.

1. The advanced voting was very useful, this is particularly true when a team is moving between tools during a meeting. Very helpful to simply pull up the vote results.
  2. The ability to setup a vote in advance was very useful.
  3. The ability to pull back up previous votes was very useful.
  4. The ability to select various types of objects in a range, versus clicking each one was very useful (although this is the least of the losses).
  5. Learning about all the changes when in real-time with a client was damaging.

Thank you for considering.

So, the Save to Vote Later feature has been gone for a year now.

Last update 7 mo ago: the team is looking into it”.

Using the vote feature without pre-set votes is just impossible for anything more serious than a playground session.

Any forecast, when we can get this feature back?

Userlevel 2

Hey Everyone, 

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Long voting sessions 
As @Jennifer Yzelman mentioned the number of voting sessions that are over 99 mins are very low thats why we prioritized other functionality above this one - however we've heard your feedback and will evaluate if it makes sense to re-prioritize this against other improvements. 

Save for later
Regarding the save for later functionality, this will be available in one of our future iterations, so stay tuned. In the meantime please give us feedback on the ease and speed of setting up voting - our goal is for set up to be so fast and easy that you can easily do it on the fly during your meeting. 

Editing voting session names 
This functionality will be available in future iterations as well, stay tuned. 

@Jennifer Yzelman , What is the status of preparing voting in advance? It is now almost 1½ year ago you disabled the previously well-functioning voting. This is really holding back the user experience of Miro.

Userlevel 4

@Gábor Péter Kertes please reach out to me in private so that we can figure out if your company is eligible for the SM beta

Hello Jennifer!

I’ve just tried the new voting option and I have a question: Is the time-limit option “downgraded” to 99 minutes? I’ve been using this feature for a very long time on boards that need active voting over 48/72 hours.

Maybe I’m missing something? I would like to keep using that feature but with that new limit It’s not useful in my case.

Thanks!

With the new Voting feature, it only allows the voting session to be ‘live’ for max. 99 mins. That’s very different with the previous version where we can have it for days. How can we adjust the setting so that we can have the voting session to last longer (say 24 / 48h)? 

Also, how can we hide the voting results after the voting session is over?

Appreciate if you could help with the above as soon as possible, as we are having another WS in less than 36 hours...Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Jennifer Yzelman - 

I’m looking forward to these enhancements!

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Loosing the ability to prepare voting sessions and to name them is a major loss ! 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Kevin Kinisky thank you for the input, that’s really valuable. We’re working on increasing the max duration of a voting session - which will be released early next year!

Thanks

Userlevel 2

@Kim Roth Howe @Paradox Venture Partners and all who read this thread subsequently, please upvote my wish list suggestions to restore these abilities 

Save for later

Name session

And, Oh, by the way, this ability to ‘pre set voting’ was introduced as a feature a year ago as documented here.

Can we have the ability to set up a voting session in advance back please?

Userlevel 4

Hi @Roy Marriott this is something that the team currently is looking into.

Thank you for the input!

Have a great day

Userlevel 4

Hi @PaulSkarregaard 

Thank you for following up on this. 

Please note that although saving votes using the voting app standalone on the board isn’t possible, you can set up & save voting sessions by using Smart Meetings (see earlier messages above). 

I have recorded a Loom video showing you how to do that: 

https://www.loom.com/share/5f13438cd0fb45a9af420f829a27af40

While simpler, this new voting system is not as robust as the old voting system that allows the user more control over what items are to be voted on and the time frame to vote.  Ninety-nine minutes is not enough time to work with GEOs or partners who work/live in a different timezone. We need a global timeframe, the four-day vote was a better system. And, yes, maybe the numbers show that not as many corps or people used the four-day feature, but then, a lot of us are just now finding MIRO so maybe this needs to be reevaluated post pandemic?