Does miro support the idea of an icon with attached text? (without manual grouping)

• 4 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Bottom line. If icons or pictures could come with a built in text box below them that can be blank or filled in I’d be an extremely happy camper.  Is there a feature I’m missing? If not can I get this in as a feature request?

--------------------------------

I’m working hard to get adoption within our organization for using miro for problem solving through discussion mapping.  The folks are generally tech savvy but not sure that they are going to like learning something new.  

This technique involves using simple icons like question mark, light bulb, minus, plus and “i”.  I’ve used many other graphical planning tools. The best one’s I’ve got attach a text box to whatever icon you’ve got. 

As I work with the group on the questions the whole process is constantly interrupted by having to for example grab a post it note, select or cut/paste a question mark, then group the question mark with your post-it, and only then being able to write your text.  In the last session I was working with a group on, the question we were trying to discuss was hard enough without having to show each member how to use grouping and double-double clicking to edit a specific item in the group, etc.

I did try create a collection of pre-grouped items (icon+sticky_ before hand but again - that seemed to just add to the confusion for the participants.

This is not the only context where not having a graphic or icon or picture automatically come with a label or text box, puts a bump in the road, but it’s the most recent instance where it broke the flow of the whiteboard session.

I am hoping that I missed a feature somewhere.

If not please - can you do something like this?

I’ve attached an example of what the resulting discussion looked like.  In this case we initially also tried to use a second icon to identify the author.  That did not work out well for the same reason.

Bottom line. If icons or pictures could come with a built in text box below them that can be blank or filled in I’d be an extremely happy camper.

I’m also curious if anyone else has incorporated discussion mapping (AKA argument mapping) (AKA idea mapping) as a way of getting to consensus where there is a large group of stakeholders to manage and tough problem on the table?

Another dated tool that was used for this was compendium

http://compendium.open.ac.uk/library/compendiumasmethodology.htm

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mike Reekie - 

the only workaround I could suggest if you want to avoid grouping would be to add a comment to the icon. It would require folks to click on the comment to see the text but that would reduce the number of steps involved to: 

1. Select and drop the icon onto the board
  2. Right-click and select “Add comment”
  3. Enter in the comment

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mike Reekie - While this may absolutely be way off base from your current process, I will still share this as your example image reminded of a new Miro app called Clusterizer, which helps visual organize sticky notes by automatically affinity-clustering your tagged stickies and cards. Perhaps this could example could spark a new/different way of working your current process.

I created the following tags in my Miro board (note: you can add up to 9 tags to one single object):

Then using the Clusterizer app, the stickies are converted into circle shapes and all of the sticky notes with those tags are attached to the circles.

First select the stickies and the launch Clusterizer:

And then Build the cluster:

The final product:

@Kiron Bondale @Robert Johnson 

Thank you. I am going to explore both of these suggestions this week. 

Has this been turned into an idea? I want to vote on it if so. I also need this feature.