Team Subscriptions - Seats vs. Guests

• 23 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi Everyone.

I recently set up a team Miro account as a temporary collaboration tool for my team (while we select our longer term organisational tool). As I am paying for this personally I was surprised to find that everyone who’d participated in my teams facilitated workshops has been made a team member (increasing the monthly bill by over £160). I had expected to be able to allow users into boards as visitors rather than having to pay for every person who participates in any session, as this will quickly become unaffordable for an individual. 

Have I missed a trick or is this tool inappropriate for my needs (and bank balance)?

Many Thanks,

Becky

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Transformation Office - This sounds like an education/training issue - but you have come to the right place.

Guests

These are any board participants who are not member of your team. To share a link to a board for a guest to access, you would use the “Anyone with the link” feature - you can read more about this in the Collaboration with Anonymous Guest Editors Help Center article.

Controlling who & who addition full license/paid members can be added to the team

In your Team profile settings → Permissions, you should review the following settings - note: these are only my personal suggestions:

With the Enable team invite link setting enabled, a Copy invite link option would appear in a board’s Share settings:

This is bad for you as anyone using that link would also be invited to the team, therefore consuming any available paid seats/licenses.

Here’s a few more links to check out:

I am in the same situation. I am on a free plan, and am interested in going to a paid plan, but as a very small company we can’t afford to have every client invited in as members. But that is what has happened. If I change to a Business Plan – how do I ensure I only have two team members and convert all the other current team members to visitors (who can edit) or guests?

I find the documentation incredibly confusing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Karen Beal - If you are small, and working with external clients, I would suggest the Consultant Plan. I actually just make a sales pitch for upgrading from Teams to Consultant about a few hours ago:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/miro-usage-in-a-company-pay-plans-8173?postid=34421#post34421

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Rather than upgrading a Free Plan team (which would prompt you to purchase a paid license/seat for each team member), you can create a new team using the Add teams action:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Karen Beal 

how do I ensure I only have two team members and convert all the other current team members to visitors (who can edit) or guests?

You would either have either remove all team members until you have two, then upgrade, or create a new team.

With Visitors, you do not add these members to teams or boards, you simply send them a like to the board after you have set the “Anyone with the link” access to anything other than “No access”.

As I mentioned in above reply, the Consultant Plan is 25% cheaper than the Business Plan, and will give you access to the Guest feature, where you can add any other Miro account holder to your board as an editor.

@Karen Beal

how do I ensure I only have two team members and convert all the other current team members to visitors (who can edit) or guests?

You would either have either remove all team members until you have two, then upgrade, or create a new team.

With Visitors, you do not add these members to teams or boards, you simply send them a like to the board after you have set the “Anyone with the link” access to anything other than “No access”.

As I mentioned in above reply, the Consultant Plan is 25% cheaper than the Business Plan, and will give you access to the Guest feature, where you can add any other Miro account holder to your board as an editor.

Thanks Robert

I just did what you suggest and upgraded to the Business plan… maybe I should be on the consultant plan. The account was set up by my colleague so he is the ‘owner’ – he gave me admin access earlier today. Although I am the person who will mainly be using it. I hope I have set it up correctly now! I will look into the consultant plan too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Karen Beal - You’re welcome!

Both the Business and Consultant Plans appear to have the Guests feature, so that’s good.

The Business Plan offers SSO, while the Consultant Plan does not. But the Consultant Plan offers unlimited teams, meaning you could create separate spaces for boards.

Here is the full comparison matrix: https://miro.com/pricing/#mr-pricing-feature-matrix