[RESOLVED] OAuth 2.0 Jira Cards app set up - Jira cloud change not syncing to Miro board card title

• 22 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As @Fergus Watson pointed out in this post, as November 21, 2023, with an OAuth 2.0 configuration of the Miro Jira Cards app, changes made in Jira are not being pushed to the Miro cards on the board, or at least not until the Cards are opened on the Miro board. This is not the experience I had with OAuth 1.0.

@Callum Jefferies - Tagging you in here as you were mentioned in the other post.

I have opened a Miro support ticket # 641974 and shared a video of the behaviour I am seeing.

I will update this post as I hear back from the support team.

Robert Johnson 4 months ago

Hi @Ferg. Sorry for the delay. The ticket was closed on January 4, 2024 and I forgot to update this post.

Essentially, the final word back from the development and support teams was:

Polling happens every hour. So if you wait one hour from making the update in Jira, the update will be reflected on the card.

However, a refresh can be forced by opening the card and clicking the Update button. I suppose, in this scenario, this is the tradeoff of the easy setup of OAuth 2.0 vs 1.0.

View original

8 replies

Apologies @Robert Johnson , I haven’t found how/if I can add to a ticket.

My experience so far shows the if the query is initiated from Miro to Jira , correct details will be provided.  eg,

• change a ticket in Jira from Backlog to In Progress, the workflow options in Miro (pull from Miro) reflect the new status - what isn’t updated is the card’s status (push from Jira).
  • change the workflow status from within Miro and the Jira status changes (push from Miro)
  • Restarting the application doesn’t fix the issue
  • Resetting the application - and reauthenticating with Jira - does. Obviously this is a sub-optimal workaround.

Hope that assists and many thanks for jumping on this. with the team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Apologies @Robert Johnson , I haven’t found how/if I can add to a ticket.

No worries. I have submitted a ticket.

For future reference, if you have a paid Miro subscription, you can open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from the support team:

Thank you for reporting the problem to the Support team! 

I understand it's important to resolve this issue, so after some investigation, I'm escalating it to our Technical Support Engineering team. They can dive deeper and determine the root cause of the issue you're experiencing.

Rest assured, they will get back to you with updates as soon as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from Miro support:
Polling happens every hour. So if you wait one hour from making the update in Jira, the update will be reflected on the card. If the issue persists past an hour, then we may have a bug or another cause at hand. Can you please test this so we can confirm there isn't another issue.

At this stage, there is no way to initiate a manual sync between Jira and the cards on Miro.  However, the following two work arounds apply:

1. Re-add the Jira card to the board.
  2. Open the edit panel for the Jira card and click "update." 

I tested and clicking the Update action in the card details panel/modal was not updating the Card summary/title.

I also provided feedback that the Jira Cards OAuth 2.0 help center article does not currently mention anything about hourly polling from Miro to Jira to update the Miro cards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from Miro support:

Our development team has released a fix. The fix will will only apply to future edits you make. Therefore, if you edit something on the cards in Jira now or re-add them (delete the old cards) you will see updates as expected.

I deleted one of my Jira-synced cards, readded it to the Miro board, updated the title in Jira, then used the Update action in Miro and the Card title did not updated… until I refreshed the Miro board. I sent this information back to the support team.

Happy New Year @Robert Johnson,

Following up if there is any further update from the Dev Team / Support.

I’ve just updated the Miro Desktop Application to the latest (0.8.28).  I am unable to find the “update” action by name. I have used (Ctrl + R) to refresh instead. I am not certain if this is the same or different action.

Results of testing today:

• Epic on Miro as the original, a copy, or deleted and recreated produced the same behaviour:
    • Refresh (Ctrl + R) does not refresh
    • Edit of the Epic on Miro triggers successful refresh
    • Closing and re-opening the Miro Desktop App trigger successful refresh

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Ferg. Sorry for the delay. The ticket was closed on January 4, 2024 and I forgot to update this post.

Essentially, the final word back from the development and support teams was:

Polling happens every hour. So if you wait one hour from making the update in Jira, the update will be reflected on the card.

However, a refresh can be forced by opening the card and clicking the Update button. I suppose, in this scenario, this is the tradeoff of the easy setup of OAuth 2.0 vs 1.0.

Thanks @Robert Johnson,

I think I’d prefer the real time updates at the expense of one off setup inconvenience. Maybe that’s just me.

Irrespective, thank you kindly for raising this and following it through.  Very much appreciated.