Answered

How to prevent guests from unlocking objects?

• 26 May 2020
  • 8 replies

I ran a workshop today in Miro, and even though I locked everything on the board, guest editors could still come in and move and copy things.

It got to such a point where I was selecting individual parts of canvasses and locking things - and they could still be moved and copied. Entire frames I had locked had their backgrounds moved.

Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

icon

Best answer by Marina 27 July 2020, 11:16

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This did happen from time to time in my sessions. Unfortunately, there isn't a master lock control (I hope this feature arrives really quickly. Hint hint @Marina )

There's a chance someone selected multiple elements or large spaces around the board and then accidentally unlocked those elements. I personally have accidentally done this BEFORE a workshop and not realising it. Of course, I had trouble during the workshop.

A good practice, I think, is to lock down individual elements as much as possible. I tend not to group too many elements together just because it can easily unlock large chunks of the board.

Also, I typically set the expectation upfront: "Do not unlock anything!"

Thanks Isman,

We did all this, but things were shifting without unlocking. It was highly stressful in a live environment :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I hear you, Chris, especially if it's a paid client! The positive thing is, at least how I feel, that Miro is listening. Let's hope that master lock feature come quickly!

Alternatively, you can save the underlying elements of your workshop as an image (for eg. a Business Canvas) and put it back into the board for the workshop. That saves the trouble of elements being accidentally unlocked. The only issue I think would be links that you've created around the board.

We are using Miro for training and some frames we don’t want anyone to edit. We can lock them, but what I can’t figure out is how can I prevent a guest from unlocking a frame like you can in Mural.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There isn't a "master lock" feature as yet in Miro. You can create images of your frames/elements so that there isn't anything to be unlocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey there,

Just wanted to update this thread - now Guest Editors cannot lock or unlock objects on boards. I hope this resolves your question :relaxed:

Added this as a potential short term option: please upvote it if you like it: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/add-option-to-increase-unlock-timing-long-press-to-unlock-timing-short-term-solution-to-lock-issues-1680?postid=6713#post6713

I am not sure what you mean by “guest editors? Still, the issues as listed here persists, at least in my environment (consultancy plan)

1. I prepare frames, lock them
  2. I share the link “anyone with the link can edit” to participants of my online training/workshop → if you mean this by “guest editor” I can assure you that ad 3 is happening
  3. Guest with the link who are supposed to work on “locked frames” and simply put some sticky notes to them can move around everything.

This is not my understanding of a feature as “locking”? What do I miss?