Skip to main content

When we are creating a space, can we create more than three boards while just being on the free plan?

Hi @Spencer Mullen,

Thanks for your question! On the free plan, you can create up to three editable boards per team. However, if you need to create more than three boards, you can explore other options like archiving existing boards or considering an upgrade to a paid plan for more flexibility.

For detailed information about the free plan and its limitations, please check out this article: Miro Free Plan.

If you have any more questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask!

Seeing the word “archive” in reference to boards (and Spaces, FKA Projects) is perhaps a misnomer. Let me explain.

When we are creating a space, can we create more than three boards while just being on the free plan?

Every plan supports the creation of unlimited boards. However, with the Free Plan, only the 3 most recently created boards will be editable – the rest of the boards will be view-only. And, because Miro does not support archiving of boards or spaces, all boards will always be visible in your dashboard (unless, of course, you filter to see boards that you do not own, but that may leave you seeing nothing at all).

I searched the Miro Help Center docs and at least one help center article referenced non-editable boards being “archived”, and then other articles outline that Miro does not support the archiving of projects, and to create archive boards, they suggest downloading them as a mean of archiving them. I suspect that most people would agree that, in the terms of digital archiving, e.g., emails, an archive is somewhere items can be move to which is out of sight – Miro does not offer this. In fact, there are several wish list idea posts requesting such functionality, e.g.: https://community.miro.com/ideas/archive-projects-boards-1060

I know I am getting a little pedantic, but I just want to help set expectations.

Hi,

Thanks so much for jumping in with that great clarification, @Robert Johnson! 😊 You’re absolutely right—Miro doesn’t support archiving in the traditional sense, where items can be moved out of sight. My suggestion was more about managing the visibility and editability of boards, but I see how that can cause confusion, especially around the term "archive."

To clarify for @Spencer Mullen  and others who will see this thread, while you can have more than three boards on the free plan, but only the three most recent boards will remain editable. The rest will be in view-only mode, and there isn’t a built-in archive feature that hides boards from your dashboard. If you want to "clean up" your dashboard, you could export your boards as image or as a small file size PDF and delete them if they’re no longer needed for editing.

Thanks again, Robert, for helping set expectations—definitely useful for anyone managing multiple boards on the free plan!

Feel free to reach out with more questions, Spencer!