Miro Orientation Cafe Design

• 21 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello everyone!

As one of the last posts in 2022, I wanted to share the latest creation from my team at Hiro Studio, our newest Miroverse submission, the Miro Orientation Café (https://miro.com/miroverse/miro-orientation-cafe/). For over a year, we have been working on identifying the foundational pieces that new Miro users need to be taught in order to quickly begin engaging in a workshop. This Miro Experience provides visual, written, and video instructions that appeal to a variety of learning styles and can get new users up to speed and ready to contribute in no time.  

Huge ups to @Rachel for her constant support and always helping us push the boundaries of what is possible in Miro, and to Hilary, Hiro Studio’s amazing designer who pulls all of the crazy ideas out of our heads and makes them beautiful.

Keep on designing amazing experiences in Miro everyone! I hope you all have happy holidays and wish you the best in 2023!

Jon

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Love this template – thanks for sharing, @Jonathan White!

This is a great use case for invisible frames or layers where the frames could be stored and then hidden. Why? So I could use the Frames panel to navigate the board, but we don’t have to see the frames.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This is so great!! Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great job @Jonathan White on this! How long do you find it takes a small group to go through the overall set of steps?

Kiron

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Love this template – thanks for sharing, @Jonathan White!

This is a great use case for invisible frames or layers where the frames could be stored and then hidden. Why? So I could use the Frames panel to navigate the board, but we don’t have to see the frames.

Yep, totally agree @Robert Johnson. Instead, we use invisible shapes behind everything to drive the wayfinding links. Using a ton of frames on this experience really brought the look and feel down a level, so we ditched them in favour of this design!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Great job @Jonathan White on this! How long do you find it takes a small group to go through the overall set of steps?

Kiron

Great question @Kiron Bondale. I would typically set aside 20 mins for this experience, maybe 30 mins if you have more than 7 people, as you can anticipate a few technical issues and questions from the crowd. 

With the video demonstrations in there, I would even feel comfortable sending this board to clients ahead of time for some asynchronous self learning. Maybe record a loom video of your own to introduce the experience and then see how they do!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Jonathan White - I like that idea of asking them to orient themselves in advance of the session. And with the global map and other frames where folks input is requested, there’s evidence that they actually did it!

Kiron