Best Miro-Apps for #Gamification in Miro

• 11 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Which are your favorite Miro-apps from the market place when it comes to create games or gamification elements on a miro board?

My favorite is the “Dice” app. Very usefull for every activity that needs a dice or some random numbers.

https://miro.com/marketplace/dice/

Select between 1 and 5 existing widgets on a Miro board and click on the dice symbol in your toolbar. On every selected widget a new sticker will appear showing a randomly generated number from 1 to 6.

Key Features:

• Select multiple widgets simultaneously.
  • The dice stickers will not disappear and can be deleted when they are no longer needed.

Also the “Totally Random” App is very helpful.

https://miro.com/marketplace/totally-random/

The app comes with four starter tools that run simple randomization functions:

• Pick 1 item at random.
  • Pick a number between a min and max.
  • Divide a group of items into X number of even random groups.
  • Shuffle a group items’ positions randomly.

Key Features:

• Pick 1 item at random: Select several widgets on your board and use Totally Random to pick one at random.
  • Pick a number at random: Write a minimum number on one sticky and a maximum number on another, select the two and Totally Random will generate 1 or more random numbers between them.
  • Divide into a certain number of random groups: Select any number of board items and choose how many random groups you’d like to divide them into. Totally Random will do the division math and nicely layout that many random groups.
  • Shuffle Positions: Select a group of widgets on a board and Totally Random will swap their positions randomly.

How about you? Have you tried out any of these? Any further recommendations?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Said Saddouk I definitely agree on the Dice app, haven’t tried Totally Random though. Other favourites are Card Flip:

When writing on a real sticky note is not unusual to have the need of using the back of the card to take extra notes. With Flip Stick Notes plugin you can have the same effect in a very simple way.

Key Features:

• Simulates the flip of a card (Sticky Note).
  • Allows you to use the back of a sticky note to jot something you won’t need to be visible all the time.
  • Shows the back of the sticky note with just one click.

… and Clusterizer:

Design thinking and strategizing can be messy- and that's kind of why it works. But sometimes a swarm of sticky notes leaves you feeling... stuck.

Clusterizer helps you organize your sticky mess. The app automatically affinity-clusters your tagged stickies and cards.

Affinity-clusterizing with Clusterizer will help you locate like with like - revealing your underlying concept network. Think of it as reverse mind mapping.

Key Features:

• Clusterizer automatically affinity-clusters your tagged stickies and cards
  • The app builds replicas of your tagged items, leaving originals un-changed
  • The app live-updates on any new board selection allowing you to sample and build various alternative affinity networks
  • Filters any non-tagged items, no need to pre-filter
  • Can handle hundreds of items
Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Oh, I forgot about “Card Flip” @Henrik Ståhl. Unfortunately it only works with sticky notes, but still a great one depending on the use case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I want to add “Breakout Frames” to the list. Not an App but a basic feature of miro which can come in realy handy when it comes to playing Team vs. Team or Player vs. Player. Thanks @Adrien Painturier for this great tip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Breakout Frames is indeed a really great feature!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Said Saddouk & @Henrik Ståhl -

I find emojis and reactions to be useful for gamification as the former can be used as one’s tokens and the latter can be used by bystanders and the facilitator to express appreciation.

Kiron

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Said Saddouk & @Henrik Ståhl -

I find emojis and reactions to be useful for gamification as the former can be used as one’s tokens and the latter can be used by bystanders and the facilitator to express appreciation.

Kiron

YES - I agree on that! Depending on the game reactions are a very useful element and also fun to use.

I usually use icons from the Iconfinder as tokens for board games or some simple round shapes in different colors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiron Bondale @Said Saddouk Amen to that! I would like to have even more reactions though. Don't you? 😊