Elevator music app for all users - Dev help required

• 6 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi!

It’s my first time trying to make a Miro app and was thinking of making an elevator music app. I’m thinking - a user can click the “play audio” button and this music plays for everyone who is active on the board. The use case is - during collaboration meetings, there are many occasions when individuals have to work independently for a few minutes before regrouping. During this silent time, it would be nice to have some sort of music played for everyone in the room. 

I got to the point where I can get the user to play a music, but unfortunately, it only plays for that user and not other users. Does anyone know how to make this a reality?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Clyde,

Great that you are giving a try to create apps for Miro.

When you run an app in Miro, the app runs independently for each user. So if for instance, you show a modal dialog when the user clicks a button, only the user that clicked the button will see the modal dialog, the others won’t unless they also click the button. This is the same with playing media, like audio.

What you want to do is to signal other users running your app that they should start playing the music, something that triggers from the original user clicking the “play” button and relays to others users in the board.

Unfortunately we don’t have a straight API to do send these kind of events at the moment and we are working to extend the functionality we offer in our Javascript SDK.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Esteban,

Thanks for the detailed reply—really appreciate it. Does the timer component follow the same behavior as you mentioned above using the same API? Any timeline on when this will be available in the public JS SDK? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hi Cylde,

Yes the Timer app has a similar internal mechanism. I can’t share an specific timeline at the moment for this functionality.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

No problem. Thanks for replying!