Wondering how responsive Miro team is to ideas / bugs

• 10 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Just discovered Miro and was very excited about it’s novel approach to project collaboration until i discovered that Miro cards do not support custom fields making them little more than sticky notes.  So I searched for this feature and found several threads asking for this feature as far back as year and none of them had a response from the Miro team.  Adding custom fields to cards is supported by all project tools that i have worked with (and it’s not a small number).  The lack of this feature is rather a serious oversight.  The lack of the team response is a serious red flag.  So i’m wondering what’s the community’s general experience with how responsive Miro team is to other issues / bugs.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kiril Okun! Personally I'd say Miro is very responsive to both ideas and bug reports – especially compared to many other companies of the same size (in terms of number of users and growth).

What many seem to forget though is the fact that Miro is very versatile; it is not a "project tool” in the same sense as ClickUp or Favro or Jira – who all specializes in project management – but it can be used as such thanks to its versatility.

Since joining this community, I've lost count on how many times I've seen "the lack of this feature is rather a serious oversight” statements. I would say that the serious oversight is rather the failure to see the simply fact that Miro is an online collaboration tool with many different areas of usage, and therefore a complexity in features and how they evolve. 🙂

Since joining this community, I've lost count on how many times I've seen "the lack of this feature is rather a serious oversight” statements. I would say that the serious oversight is rather the failure to see the simply fact that Miro is an online collaboration tool with many different areas of usage, and therefore a complexity in features and how they evolve. 🙂

Thank you Henrik for sharing your thoughts.  I’ve actually recognized and fully appreciated the power of Miro’s collaboration tools from the second i looked through the features.  What concerns me is a reliable traceability between the collaboration space and the work tracking space, which is a must-have feature for any project of sufficient complexity.  Not being able to setup that traceability (using custom fields on the cards)  is a show-stopper for my adoption of Miro.  Judging by the threads i found i’m not the only one.   I really would love to use Miro for the reasons you’ve listed but cannot in its current state.  Hence trying to find out if the Miro team is even aware of this problem and how close that feature is to reality.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiril Okun I'm sure they are aware, but being a product manager myself, I understand the vastness of the product and the challenging prioritizations. What's a problem (or even blocker) for some isn't even considered a core feature by others. I don't envy their product managers/product owners in that respect. 😅

@Henrik Ståhl   True that.    I certainly appreciate the divergence of priorities in different use cases.  However,  it sure seems that having ability of keeping unique item (feature, user story, task, ...) identifiers and other data attributes would be a necessity for any project.  I’m wondering how do you keep track of the work through the project lifecycle.  I’m sure that being a product owner you need to be able to synchronize different teams through different phases.   How do you accomplish that with Miro?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiril Okun I don’t necessarily accomplish everything with Miro, since that is not what Miro aims for. And to be honest, the things you mention aren’t necessities for any project. In fact, I have been working on a pretty large project for almost 2 years without ever writing a single feature or user story or task in any project management tool. As PO of one of 5+ teams involved in the project, I have opted for mob development within the team and with the other teams, extensive communication through Slack, Teams, Figma, etc, and strategic outlines & visualizations in Miro.

What I’m trying to say is that “synchronizing” between teams is not dependent of tools. The only dependency is communication and collaboration. How that happens is secondary. If you depend on tools for that, I’d say the organization has serious issues that needs to be addressed. 🙂