Answered

Video chat - participants do not show

• 9 September 2020
  • 2 replies

We keep having an issue where participants images on a video chat do not not always show up - instead there are just black screens with the names of the participants. This comes and goes - so sometimes a person is visible and sometimes their screen is black.

The participants are using Miro on either a laptop or a desktop computer.

I didn’t see a solution within the community boards.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 9 September 2020, 21:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Susan Bolles - I am no expert on Miro’s video chat features, but I’ll share my experiences/what I about video chat which are that it:

• Does not work in the Windows 10 desktop app from the Microsoft Store (more info here)
  • Does work using the full Windows desktop app (I’m not sure about he Mac version, but presume it does) - Download Miro apps here.
  • Utilizes the Vonage platform - more on this in the Miro Video Chat help article.
  • Uses your computer or browsers camera settings to determine which one to use - there’s some good info in this Community post

While I don’t full understand the inner workings of the video chat over the Internet/Vonage, I am quite certain that I cannot get it to work when I am on my work laptop and connected to our corporate network as there is some soft of firewall rule in place that is blocking the type of traffic, i.e., video streaming over HTTPS, however, I could be wrong. However, this is not an issue for us as we all just use Teams or Webex for video.

Seeing as you video chat does not work on Free or Education Plans, you are presumably on a paid plan. Therefore, if you haven’t already, I would suggest that you Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center ticket.

Thank you so much for your response and the links.

Early on, we checked the browser permissions - the issue seems to be something else. We are all on Macs and wfh.

We haven't tried the desktop app yet - so we’ll try that next and see if it resolves.