Question

Understanding the free plan within a paid plan

• 4 November 2022
  • 4 replies

I have a company account and i am part of a team ZT with the free plan, while some of my colleagues have the paid version and have the PE team where i can only see the boards that are share with me.

Since ZT team is on the free plan, there can only be 3 boards and everyone sees them.

But if i use another account (eg personal email) i also have the 3 boards that are private and i can share them eventually.

So I am not understanding why with the company account i don’t have those 3 free personal boards that every base account have, but only 3 board shared with everyone.

Shouldn't I have, say, a personal team where i can have 3 personal boards?

Thanks in advance 🙏🏻

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@C.Bizzo - Because there are no private boards in a Free Plan team, all members of the team can see all boards in the team.

More info on this in the Free Plan Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730373-Free-plan#h_01F32T02BSHKT2VNBFQCE828VZ

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So I am not understanding why with the company account i don’t have those 3 free personal boards that every base account have, but only 3 board shared with everyone.

Shouldn't I have, say, a personal team where i can have 3 personal boards?

From my experience over the years, Miro’s Free Plan appears to exist with one scenario in mind:

• anyone new to Miro, i.e., no account profile exists under their email address, can go to miro.com,
  • create an account,
  • and start using it for free.

With that being said, every Miro account profile must have at least one team associated with it. In some cases, users follow the above flow, but in others they were invited to a team (free or paid) and once they create their account pfofile, they now have access to Miro and will not have their own Free Plan team/workspace. However, if you were to leave every team that your account profile is associated with, Miro would then prompt you to create a new Free Plan team.

if you were to leave every team that your account profile is associated with, Miro would then prompt you to create a new Free Plan team.

I’ve found a workaroud:

• create an account with my personal email
    • create a personal team called ‘My Team’
  • share 1 board with my company-account
  • the company-account joins the team ‘My Team’ 
  • now my company-account has access to all the boards from ‘My Team’ (since it’s a free plan, only 3 boards max), and from my point of view those are private because only I am using those.

What I still don’t uderstand is why, by default, there isn’t always a ‘My Team’ team for every account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@C.Bizzo

I’ve found a workaroud:

• create an account with my personal email
    • create a personal team called ‘My Team’
  • share 1 board with my company-account
  • the company-account joins the team ‘My Team’ 
  • now my company-account has access to all the boards from ‘My Team’ (since it’s a free plan, only 3 boards max), and from my point of view those are private because only I am using those.

Yep, that’s how to do it! I have outlined similar steps here. One tip: You don’t have to create a board and share it to add a member to the team – you can just go to the Team profiile settings → Active users page and use the Invite new members action (If they already have a Miro account profile they are automatically added to the team, no accepting an invite is required).

What I still don’t uderstand is why, by default, there isn’t always a ‘My Team’ team for every account.

It’s just the way Miro works. The goal is for everyone to be able to use Miro for free, not have their own personal/private space (that is a paid feature).