Skip to main content
Answered

Talktracks can be included in Miroverse templates but not company templates?

• 13 June 2024
  • 6 replies

tl;dr -- I recorded a Talktrack on a board that I turned into a template accessible to my whole company but when I use the template to create a new board, the Talktrack is broken/inaccessible. I’m disappointed since I spent a bunch of time to make a quick start walkthrough for my template that I’d like everyone to be able to use (and to see how many people watch it)!

Here’s what it looks like.

I recently looked at the Sprint Planning template (awesome btw!) on the Miroverse which includes a Talktrack with basically the same use case as mine so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. The other Talktrack related topics here and all the help docs I read through didn’t seem to answer my question.

So, am I missing a step, need to ask my Admin for a permissions change, or is this working as intended?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Matthew Erickson - There was an issue about two moths ago where all Talktracks were appearing as “unavailable on this board” – here’s the post, and my GIF from the post:

And, just today, I received the same error on a board that I had just recorded a Talktrack on the night before, which made my heart skip a beat in panic as I had spent a lot of time making it. Once I refreshed the board, the Talktrack came back.

Creating a Talktrack in a custom template

I had never tried this, so I just:

1. created a new board
  2. made a three second Talktrack
  3. From the Export this board menu, I saved the board as a template at the Company level (Business Plan)

Then I created a new board, and added the template to the board, and the Talktrack was there.

I also tried creating a new board from my dashboard by opening the templates modal and and using the Use action for the template and, again, the Talktrack was present.

So, if you are completing similar steps and the Talktrack continues to appear as it does in your screenshot, I would suggest that you open a support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

FYI, it’s a Company Admin controlled function so starting there may be useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Matthew Erickson - To be clear, the function Paul is referring to the screenshot is whether Talktracks can be recorded in the first place, and not where they be watched or copied/duplicated to.

Thanks for the help @Paul Snedden and @Robert Johnson!

Super helpful to see your process to know that I was following the same flow but getting different results. It’s true that at the moment in your GIF that you click on the Talktrack menu and the blue button appears and the talktrack shows in the sidebar I see something different: still grey button + no talktracks shown.

1. Right after starting a new board and clicking “Use Template”
  1. Then, right after clicking the Talktrack option in the menu (notice the active color)

I’ll go ahead and submit a bug and see what support has to say.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yeah, something is going on in the land of Talktrack as just today, I opened a board with the intent of deleting a Talktrack. The first step I did was to delete the Talktrack shortcut (although, opening the TT panel and deleting the TT should also delete the TT recording). Nonetheless, I first deleted the shortcut, and when I opened the TT panel, there were no TTs. So, I refreshed the browser and then the TT appeared in the side panel.

I submitted this wonkiness via the feedback speech bubble:

If you think of it, please do let us know how you make out and what the support team tells you 🙏

Here’s the update tl;dr -- “Working at designed”

Here’s the full response from support:

As it turns out, this is the expected behavior for Talktracks which are included in shared templates. The Talktrack will be available in the original template, but it won't be included when it is inserted into a new board and will show as "Talktrack is not available on this board". This is functioning correctly within the current system design. 

That being said, I can definitely understand how useful it would be to have the Talktrack included within the templates, regardless of their sharing status and when inserted into a new board. The team is fortunately already aware of this and is working on some improvements here.

So, hopefully we’ll get some updates on this soon. Until then I think I’ll share a “view” link to the original template IN my template (meta, I know) so people can go there to see how to use it if they need.