Question

Sharing Boards with Visitors Broken?

• 28 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Is sharing with visitors without an account broken?  

My visitors are getting an error message and a prompt to login to Miro from my shared link (“can view - copy board link”.  

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Matthew Rader -

Are you on an Enterprise plan? If so, could your enterprise Miro admin have restricted the ability to share boards with Visitors? The functionality is working in general as I just taught a class today where the learners were all accessing my course board as Visitors.

Kiron

Nah, free account.  Is this a paid feature? It's works on my educational account but I was trying something else.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes, viewing only for visitors on boards residing in a Free Plan:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-visitors

I’m having the same issue as Matthew. A week or so ago it was working fine, but now visitors can’t view. The board starts loading briefly but then jumps to a sign-in page (at first with that same red error text, but now I’m seeing it without the error). I’m on the free plan as well. So far we’ve tried clearing cookies, using different browsers or incognito windows, and creating a new board, but none of those strategies have worked.

EDIT: I just found this related thread with folks having the same issue a couple weeks ago: https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/no-access-to-public-board-7292. It sounds like it’s a bug that was resolved back then, but now is back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michaela - Can you show us in screenshots exactly how you are sharing your Free Plan board?

@Robert Johnson

Below is a screenshot of the sharing settings - we have been using the “Copy board link” button with the “Anyone with the link Can view” setting. With that setting selected we’ve also copied the board URL from the browser window, which seems to get you the same base URL as the “Copy board link” button but without “?invite_link_id=...” appended at the end. The latter approach is primarily what we were doing back when the visitor viewing was working, because the link is shorter that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michaela - Thanks for the detailed reply.

Can no visitors/unregistered, non-team members no longer access the board at all when using either the base URL or "Copy board link" generated URL?

Are these visitors--and yourself--all on the same network? Does this work for you from a completely different device and network, e.g., a personal computer that is not going through a VPN?

Something else I will point out, in case you (or any other readers) didn't know: You can disable the "team invite link" option in the Team profile settings by following this link:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022258119-Invitation-settings

Doing so can reduce the chances of team members from accidentally adding new members to the team, and those members creating boards, causing the original team members boards to become view-only.