Skip to main content

Side Bar is greyed out for guests with edit access - they cannot open frames as a result.

I have tested this with three different browsers. Same issue. This is using a board duplicated from another which worked without a problem.

They can get access using the F button, but the actual sidebar button is greyed out and inaccessible. I can open it if I login.

The guests continue to have edit access but cannot.

Does anyone have the solution?

@martin yeaman - I am seeing this too.

When a visitor has edit access, the left sidebar button is disabled:

But when they are a viewer, it is enabled!

This may be related to a change that happened about a month ago where visitors are being restricted in apps/tools they can use:

I will report it to the support team and update this post as I hear back.

Cheers Robert. Something interesting - I changed the sharing permissions to “visitors can enter their names” and that allows access to the frames sidebar button. But not ideal as it means two pop up screens before they can enter. We’re using this with over 200 students across a number of boards - 25 frames in each - one per student so frame menu access is crucial.

Update from Miro support:

I was able to reproduce this issue on my end. With that in mind, I'll go ahead and escalate this along to the tech team for further investigation. Thanks for reporting this, and stay tuned! They'll be in touch as soon as they have more information to share. 

Thanks Robert

Hello,

Maybe there are any updates on this bug?

Hello,

Maybe there are any updates on this bug?

Nothing yet. 

What is the update on this bug? This is extremely inconvenient and hard to work-around.

Update: Last week the support team said the change was related to changes to simplify the Visitors creation toolbar (see the Why has the Visitors creation toolbar changed? FAQ: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559#01H8KC61MT26Y80ZKKQPYDX7HS).

They said the issue of the left sidebar button being disabled for editing Visitors should have been resolved, but I immediately tested again and told them it was not. They continue to look into it.

Latest update from Miro support:

Thank you for your patience while we investigate the problem.
Our development team has identified certain issues that require resolution. They are aware of the potential impact on the users and I appreciate your continued patience. They are currently addressing these issues. I will keep you updated on their progress.

Update from Miro Support team - issue is RESOLVED:

Thank you for your patience on this matter.

The developer team reverted the changes, and it should work as expected. Could you please check it on your end as well? I no longer see the issue on my end.