Private Board Sharing with One on one students

• 7 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello community!

I am highly considering using Micro to teach my private English Lessons.

I teach one on one and I would like each student to have access to their own Boards for my twelve week program, but I don’t want the students to be able to access each other’s boards. 

I’m a bit confused by the private sharing function. It seems like you can only make your board private for yourself as the leader, rather than private for both you and your one on one student.

Can someone help clear this up for me? And if you have any recommendations on what I should do as a one on one teacher with lots of students that’ll be awesome. 

Much appreciated!

Nick 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @MR NICHOLAS ANDERSON-VINES 

Welcome to the Miro Online Community!

Please follow this guides https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018350399-Board-Content-Settings

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-Anonymous-Guest-Editors

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MR NICHOLAS ANDERSON-VINES -

You can set the board access permissions on a person-by-person basis. You would take away all permissions from the members of the team the board is created in, but would add the student you wished to have access the board with full permissions (see below). When you enter the student’s info in the first option below, you can set their level of access (view/comment/full edit access).

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MR NICHOLAS ANDERSON-VINES - The final configuration will depend on what type of Miro plan you do/will have. For example, the Free Plan does not allow for private boards - anyone on the team can see all boards. But paid plans allow for private boards.

The Education Plan is free and allows for private boards too. Depending on the educational institution, you may may quality for the free 100 team member Education Plan - this is free for life for educators. There is also a 10-person team free for two years for students. You can read more about the Education Plan here:

For the rest of this reply, I will assume that you will be using a paid or Education Plan AND your students will be members/users of your Miro team, i.e., you will have added them to your team through your Miro dashboard.

Understanding Private Boards

In most Miro plans, the board Share/security access is as follows:

So, for your teacher-student scenario, you would want to set the “Team access” to “No access”:

Next, to give a student access to a board, you would add them here:

The screen will change to the following once you start typing:

However, if you were going to be sharing a number of boards, or you have more than a few students, a much better way to keep track of which boards are for which students is to use Projects. Think of

Projects

• Think of Projects as folders.
  • You create Projects and then you can add boards to those Projects.
  • Projects can be private or visible to all team members, and you can even add members/users to the project and set each members access as needed, e.g., Billy can edit any boards in the project, but Sally can only view the boards.

More on Project here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018262033-Projects

Scenario: Working on boards with Billy

Create a Project called Billy and DISABLE “Anyone in your team can view this project”:

Now add Billy to the Project:

Billy’s good to go.

Default Board and Project Sharing Settings

The last bit of advice I have is that you go into your team Profile settings → Permissions, and change the default Board and Project sharing settings to “only the owner can access”.

Why? There are two key reasons:

1. Doing so ensures hat boards/projects remain private - users then have to explicitly share with others.
  2. This also keeps everyone’s dashboard more focused and clutter free.

Here’s where the settings can be found:

Thank you so much Robert, 

There is a lot to take in here, but it looks like the paid team plan is the best for what I need. 

I know I can make each project private between students but I want the identities of my students to be confidential from each other. 

Will the number of team members and their names be confidential from each student? 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Nick 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MR NICHOLAS ANDERSON-VINES - While I am not a a regular team “Member” on any Team Plan (I am a Team Admin), I believe that all team members would be able to see the names and email addresses of all team embers (I am a team “Member” on a number of other plan types and can see all team member names/email addresses).

If you need to maintain this level of privacy, I see two options:

1. You use the Consultant Plan (which is $15/month for one user vs. a two user-minimum for the Team Plan= $20/month) and then share the link with your students using Anonymous Guest Editor access (you can even password protect the board).
  2. Or if you don’t want to use  public links with a password and want to have your students be paid team members, then you can still use the Consultant Plan which allows for unlimited teams and you could create a team for each student - now they will not be able to see any of your other teams/members.