Answered

My First Board?

• 13 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am a teacher and my students will be working in teams on some whiteboarding activities over the next several weeks using this wonderful Miro platform. I sent the invite link to the class to give them access and I have set up boards for each team.

I noticed that sometimes when students first come into Miro for the first time they end up creating their own board called, “My First Board.” I’m not sure if this is intentional. Once they do this I cannot delete the board, that just sits empty, and have learned that I need to delete the student and then bring them back, if needed. 

First, I’d like to know how I can bring back the individual student who I deleted as an active user so I could delete the board they created that remains blank and unused. Do I need to send an individual invite? Or does the invite link that I gave to the class allow them to freely come back? 

Also, I’d like to encourage them to go straight to the team board I have already created and to not create these individual boards that remain empty and are taking up space. 

I’d love some thoughts and ideas for ways I can manage this process and ultimately keep this space clean and organized.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 13 March 2021, 21:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Patricia Sigler - I will elaborate on the steps I previously outlined for you here.

Think about this scenario for a moment. You turn on your computer, sign in, and get to your home screen/desktop, and there are all of your shortcuts/files. Now, imaging if you also saw all of your colleagues/students shortcuts/files - that wouldn’t make much sense and would be incredibly cluttered, right? Well, that’s what happens with most new Miro teams, including your Education Plan team.

My First Board 

This is likely happening for two reasons:

1. The student clicking on your team invite link did not have a Miro account and, therefore, was prompted to create an account during the process at which point Miro creates this new board when a new user creates an account.
  2. And you are seeing this because your team permissions are likely set in a way that ALL team members will see any newly created boards and projects.

Sharing Settings

You will want to:

1. Click on the Team settings gear icon from your dashboard:
  2. Click on Permissions and then scroll down to Sharing settings and set the default board and project settings to “Only board/project owners can access:

With these settings in place, you will no longer see boards or projects created by your students, and they will not see yours, until you share them.

Cleaning up all of these My First Board boards

You can remove the students at which point you can choose the option to have their created content deleted.

Adding students back to your team

There are a number of ways to do this.

1. Add by email - go to your team profile settings, Active users, click Invite new members, then you can add bulk email addresses:

If I copy-and-paste a list of emails like so:

Then this happens:

2. You can mass email an invite link:

3. Inviting directly to a board AND adding them as a team member at the same time - this appears to be broken at the moment, for me anyway and I will be submitting a Miro support ticket.

To invite directly to a board and to the team, the following would need to be set:

With those set, when you create a new board, you should see a Copy invite link:

However, I took that screenshot from a Team Plan type of Miro plan and cannot get that button to show up in my spouse’s Education Plan no matter what I do, so I will report this to support.