Answered

Limit Project Member Access to a Specific Project Board?

• 5 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Use case: I would like to use Projects to organize work for a small group. Each project member should be able to create boards in the project (which means they require Can edit access to the project). However, sometimes there will be a board in the project for which I would like to limit access to Can view or Can comment. Is this possible? I can’t seem to find a way to make this work if someone has more permissive permissions at the project level.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 5 February 2024, 21:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brian Treff - Unfortunately, you are finding a true limitation here. I had seen a Miro produced video years ago stating that boards were at the top of the permissions hierarchy, followed by (I believe it was) projects and then teams. However, as you have discovered, project permissions can override both team and board level permissions, e.g., a user could be set to have view only access at the board level, and another limited to comment only for the team, but as soon as you add the team member to a project at a higher permission level, i.e., edit access, they can edit any board within that project.

Currently, your only option would be to have another project with a slightly different name, e.g.:

• “Working group”
  • “Working group (view only)”

Wish List

The projects in projects/sub projects Wish List idea post is flagged as “IN DEVELOPMENT”, so perhaps a suitable solution will come from that:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/folders-directories-in-projects-395

Otherwise, you would upvote any other Wish List idea posts that may sound like what you are looking for (maybe something to do with “user permission groups?) - here are a high-level search:

https://community.miro.com/search?q=user%20groups&content_type%5B0%5D=ideation

You could also create your own Wish List idea post by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.