Skip to main content
Answered

Lasso selects object not within the lasso area (including items that are far away). Anyone else having this issue?

• 23 December 2020
  • 7 replies

The lasso tool will grab object not within the lasso outline. Sometimes, it will even grab objects that are far away from the outline. For example, it grabbed an object that was two items from the lasso area (but not the item right next to the area).  For example, imagine going from left to right:  Item A, Item B, Item C, Item D. All items are separated and not overlapping.  I lasso Item C and Item D, but the lasso also includes Item A.  Item B is left alone as it should be. 

This doesn’t cause me major problems as I usually just cntl+click items I want to group. More of a curiosity. 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Robert Kienzle -

I hadn’t used the lasso tool yet, but tried it using a mouse with Miro via Google Chrome and it does seem to work fine for me. I tried a number of different permutations of grabbing different sets of objects and it never included ones which I hadn’t fully included within the boundaries of the lasso zone.

How are you accessing Miro?

Kiron

Userlevel 4

Thanks, Kiron. I’m also on Chrome on a Mac.  It happened to me twice this week in different areas of the board.  Each time I made another attempt and it still occurred. 

Userlevel 1

Not sure if this is your issue but I noticed that lasso doesn’t require you to entirely cover an object to be included.  If you cover most of it, it will include it.  Also, if 2 objects are grouped together and you lasso one of them, you will get both.

Did you check that the other object is not grouped with anything?  

Userlevel 4

Thanks, Stephen. The items weren’t grouped. 

Userlevel 4

Here’s a quick update.  I tried to recreate the issue but found something else.  Here’s a video:

https://youtu.be/RWpstKjmBPQ

Lasso won’t group a Google Image and an Iconfinder image, but it will group a Google Image, Iconfinder image, and Google Image if they’re in that order.

No big deal as I can easily select the Iconfinder image manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Kienzle - The lasso tool must completely encase the object(s) in order to select it. In your example:

So, if I try to select the object but miss even just a little it bit of the corner,  it won’t work.

Here I am selecting both objects from a very wide berth:

But if I go wide around some objects but just miss a wee bit of one corner, it won’t select that one:

It is definitely more tricky when trying to lasso objects with transparent backgrounds.

@Marina - Perhaps the Pen Help Centre article should be updated to note this subtle detail?

Userlevel 4

Thanks, that makes sense now esp without the border in view.