Question

How to unlinked objects

When you drag objects too close to each other they dynamically link without you wanting them to be grouped.   How do you unlink them so you can edit diagrams?  This is recent feature that is super annoying and I haven’t figured out how to resolve.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Aaron Foss 

Hmmmm . . . sounds interesting, but I cannot make this happen for me. Can you give a better or more concrete example that I could try?

Normally when WFH (Weird Stuff Happens) it is usually because something has screwed up in the cache of the browser or the app - so by clearing your cache (or in the app, Help-->Reset) you can get things working again.

But again . . . maybe it is a feature? 

If you can provide a better example I’d be happy to try!

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Aaron Foss - There are many different object types in Miro, so an example would be helpful. Tip: Loom is free and quite easy to use and share a screen recording.

I should also note that the behaviour you are describing sounds similar to a post from about four months ago after Miro made a change to make pen, i.e., drawing objects, automatically group to other object as they are place on top of them:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/solved-objects-are-automatically-grouping-when-placed-together-and-cannot-be-ungrouped-15389

Hi @Kenneth Ritley @Robert Johnson It is easy to reproduce with AWS diagramming shapes.   Try creating subnets, vpc and account rectangles and they dynamically snap when you layer them on top of each other.  Once you build a big enough diagram you can’t unsnap them and your complex drawing is ruined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Aaron Foss -

It is easy to reproduce with AWS diagramming shapes.

Now we’re getting somewhere ;)

I believe this auto-grouping/binding is specific to the AWS “Groups” diagramming object types (but similar behaviour may exist with other diagramming objects.

For example, any objects withing certain proximity of these Group objects are bound to them:

There was post from a while back where there was a bug with the Group objects, but it was resolved.

To confirm that the behaviour you are seeing is indeed expected and cannot be disabled, I would suggest that you open a support ticket - the support team can confirm this for you with a product team.

You can open a Miro support ticket by following these instructions:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Feedback

I would also suggest that you share your feedback here (and include a link to this post, for additional context):