How to plan complex activities and make items in plan actionable?

• 2 February 2022
  • 1 reply

hi all, seeking your ideas on my need to organize work.

At work I am responsible to organize my teams work. We have a number of activities that run simultaneously, some with my inclusion, some without. While, it all starts with planning. Typically the activities can be grouped into logical groups of tasks with defined deliverables (something like WBS in fact). 

Example project: Adoption of automated patching

Streams:

1. development (done)
  2. fixing issues in hypercare (current)
  3. Support teams readiness (current)
    1. training
    2. setup up daily/weekly procedures
    3. setup troubleshooting procedures
  4. communication campaign for business users (in preparation)
    1. global email
    2. yammer post
    3. Q&A sessions
  5. WEB support portal setup
  6. …...

I like the visual interpretation of such structure, so I originally thought of using mindmap, but I will want to make the above tasks actionable and trackable. some of tasks in specific area will be worked on, some will wait. I thought of activating the specific task by converting it to card, place on kanban, or calendar like board to visualize what is currently in progress and what is coming next.

in a sense, I need to maintain backlog of tasks that are needed to complete specific stream. I also need to visualize what is being worked on and what is coming next - at best without duplicating the items in backlog. 

Any ideas? Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Roman Cernovsky -

Sounds like a job for a user story map. There are a couple of story mapping templates you can access, or you can just create your own one using different colored sticky notes and lines to separate activities/work items in each release.

If you are not familiar with story mapping, Jeff Patton wrote a great book about it...

Kiron