Skip to main content
Answered

how do I get out of someone else's team to start my own?

• 25 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, a friend invited me to a board to help her on a project. She created it within her employer’s pre-existing Team. Now I’d like to get my own account but I can’t extricate my log-in from her team. HELP! Thanks! 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Julie Kucinski - In the hopes of not only helping you, but also future readers of this post, I like to summarize what I think is going on, how you got here, and what to do next.

It sounds like

• your friend invited you to join a Miro board
  • you received an invite by email
  • you used the link to create you Miro account profile
  • and now when you are signed into your Miro account, you appear to be in your friend’s employer’s Miro Team but want to leave that Team and create your own.

First, let’s quickly clarify how things generally work in Miro:

• A Miro account profile is created by email address and is now consider a user in Miro
  • Every user belong to a Team
  • Teams can have many users added to them - they are also commonly referred to as “team members”
  • A Miro team is on a Plan
  • Some plans are free → Free Plan, Education Plan
  • And some plans cost money → Team Plan, Business Plan, Consultant Plan, Enterprise Plan
  • Every Miro account user profile is entitled to one Free Plan.

A quick example

• I created my Miro account using my Gmail address by going to miro.com and clicking on Sign up free.
  • When I did this, I was prompted to create my first team, which was a Free Plan team called “Rob’s Team”.
  • As time has gone on, I have
    • been invited as a team member on another Miro account holder’s Free Plan team
    • created my own Consultant Plan team
    • been invited as a team member on three other Miro account holder’s teams.
  • And now when you add those all up, when I sign into my Miro account using my Gmail address, I see the six teams that I am member of listed in my Miro dashboard:

@Julie Kucinski - Back to your questions. 

How to leave a team

1. Click on the team settings button:
  2. This will take you to the the Team profile page - scroll down and you will see the Leave team button - click this:

A note for all: If you have the role of Team Admin, you would actually see If this was in fact a Free Plan team you has the role of Team Admin you would have the additional action of Delete team available:

**IMPORTANT**

@Julie Kucinski - One you Leave your friend’s team, you may end up in situation where your Miro account will lot load - instead, you just see the Miro logo spinning like it’s trying to sign in, but never does. If this happens, don’t panic as it is a known glitch. To work around this, you will need to sign into Miro using a private/incognito browser window (or from a completely different computer should work too). Once you get signed in again, Miro should detect that your account profile is no longer linked to any team and prompt you to create your own free team. Even if you planned on creating a paid plan team, do first set up your free plan team.

Creating more teams/a new plan

You can create even more teams/plans at any time from your dashboard by clicking on the Add teams “+” symbol from your dashboard:

Let us know if you have any more questions or run into any issues!