Skip to main content
Question

How can objects be kept in the same position when the frame is enlarged?

• 3 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I usually place some fixed and recurring objects in the corner of the frame, such as links, references, etc. 

It often happens that I need to extend the frame to accomodate new elements inside. When this occurs, the objects on the corner do not move accordingly and I always have to reposition them manually. 

Is there any solution to keep these specific objects in place? 

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Stefno 

Seems like you want to lock some objects on a board? Have you tried these steps (Locking Content on a Board)? Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stefno - There is currently no way to lock or pin an object in reference to another object as you are describing.

I do something similar with frames where I want a logo to always remain in the bottom-left corner of the frame. To avoid having to resize a frame, but also having to move the logo back to the corner, I focus on ensuring my frame(s) are big enough that I have the room I need. However, when I do end up needing to resize, because I am using 16:9 ration frames (and want to keep them the same ratio), I select everything at once - frame and all content inside by doing a click-drag around the frame, and then drag by the corner:

Tip: If you need to resize a single object and not disrupt its ratio, hold the Shift key while dragging.

Wish List post

There is at least one Wish List post where someone has asked for “Locking by position” that you may want to upvote:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/four-different-object-lock-options-4647

However, if you feel that idea doesn’t truly reflect what you are looking to accomplish, 

I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Badge

Hi @Stefno 

Seems like you want to lock some objects on a board? Have you tried these steps (Locking Content on a Board)? Hope this helps!

Hi @ElvaMiro ,

thanks for your answer. 

I know this useful feature, but it seems that doesn’t serve my needs, unfortunately. Although I can lock the object, its behavior doesn't change: when I enlarge the frame, it doesn't move to stay in the same position as before:

Badge

Thanks @Robert Johnson,

I probably didn’t get your suggestion fully. 

When I select everything at once and expand the frame, as you suggested, everything increases in size (images, text, etc.), which doesn't solve the need for more space inside.

Perhaps the answer is here, but I didn’t understand the meaning:

Tip: If you need to resize a single object and not disrupt its ratio, hold the Shift key while dragging.

Thanks

Badge

If you’re interested in this features, you can vote here:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/keep-objects-in-the-same-position-when-enlarging-the-frame-to-create-more-space-16780

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stefno - Thanks for posting your idea!

I see you posted it in the Developer platform and APIs forum.

I have moved it to the Wish List forum:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/keep-objects-in-the-same-position-when-enlarging-the-frame-to-create-more-space-16780

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stefno - Now that it is a Wish List post, you will want to upvote it yourself!