Help needed with colour issues

Userlevel 1

HI All, 

Really struggling. 

I have a frame with 3 blocks of colour… I am building a map across these 3 blocks of colour but the shapes are different colours when they are on top of the 3 different colours. 

How do I stop the the underlying block colour affecting the top block colour. The blocks are Opaque and I dont want them the true solid colour 

Any help with be great 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Possum -

Assuming you are just using standard Miro shapes, then unless you set Opacity to 100% in the fill colors dialog, the underlying shapes and (to a certain extent) colors will bleed through.

Frames act different as they are a layer underneath the shapes contained within them so.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Thanks Kiron - what do you suggest instead of using the MIro standard shapes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Possum Why don't you want them to be true solid colors? Having less than 100% opacity will have that effect, that's the way opacity in colors work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Possum - For context, here is how to change a Shapes opacity:

If this still doesn’t solve your issue, please share a larger screenshot, so we can see the full context of your frames/shapes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don’t think that’s the problem @Robert Johnson since he explicitly writes that “the blocks are Opaque and I dont want them the true solid colour.” 🙂

The problem is, you can’t have both. Opacity is the extent to which something blocks light. In design, you can change the opacity of different objects/layers of objects so that more (or less) of the underlying image shows through. Less opacity on an object in the foreground = background object shows through. This of course affects the color/colors.

@Possum If you don’t want background colors to affect foreground colors, your foreground objects must have 100% opacity. I recommend you change the color instead of the opacity. If you for example don’t like any of the default pink colors, you can click the + icon in the bottom of the color palette and add a custom color:

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much @Henrik Ståhl that worked - ironically I tried that earlier but the new colour was still opaque… I think cos I had the Opaque setting on… didnt think to change it!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Possum Glad to hear that it solved your issues! 🌟

Userlevel 1

Since you guys are all so clever… off the topic… any idea how to write text in super or subscript?? I need to have ® and ™ behind my product names but cant get them in superscript 🙁

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Possum I’m a Mac person, so I just use the Character Viewer. 🙂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Henrik Ståhl

he explicitly writes that “the blocks are Opaque and I dont want them the true solid colour.” 🙂

Sometimes you read the whole thing, and sometimes you don't 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Robert Johnson Haha, even Homer nods! (According to Horace) 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Fun fact: The Swedish idiom for “even Homer nods” is directly translated to English, “even the sun has spots.” 🌞

Fun fact: The Swedish idiom for “even Homer nods” is directly translated to English, “even the sun has spots.” 🌞

Haha, that’s pretty interesting.