Skip to main content

I see from today’s update that Projects are now Spaces.

I’m trying to determine whether this change has - deliberately or inadvertently - changed the visibility of boards that are not in projects/spaces. It might just be my bad memory of how things were with Projects though!

Before today, I believe that if you created a board that wasn’t in a project, then only you could see it (until you shared it with individuals in the team) and doing a search or viewing all boards didn’t show the boards not in a project.

Now with spaces I can filter by ‘boards not in spaces’ and I can see lots of boards I didn’t think I previously had access to.

Am I misremembering or do I need to pass this onto our users?

@Stuart Gibbons - From what I can tell, there have been several changes with this new Spaces dashboard update that were unexpected.

Before today, I believe that if you created a board that wasn’t in a project, then only you could see it (until you shared it with individuals in the team) and doing a search or viewing all boards didn’t show the boards not in a project.

The settings that controlled this (and shouldn’t have changed -- or at least it hasn’t for me) is the Default Sharing settings, configured at the team level. More on this here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572174-Default-sharing-settings

What may have happened for you, is that you could be on the Recent boards page?

And re Recent and Starred boards pages...

The Recent and Starred board pages now only shows boards that are in a team space that you are a member of.

I cannot find any mention of this change in the What is on your dashboard help center article, but luckily others posted about this after learning about the change from the support team:

1. https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/investigating-starred-boards-missing-17843
  2. https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/cannot-find-a-board-in-recent-boards-17859
  3. https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/can-not-find-recent-boards-17842
  4. https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/can-not-find-starred-and-recent-boards-17850

Thanks @Robert Johnson 

On further investigation, I don’t think it’s directly related to the dashboard changes, that was just a convenient way to see the problem, which is that currently everyone in the company looks to be able to access any boards regardless of board sharing permissions. Our default for new boards is still ‘only board owners can access’, but you can view any board whether its in no space/project, or in a space you’re not a member of.

I’ve raised a support ticket with Miro.

@Stuart Gibbons - Gotcha.

Sharing something that happened to me once, that may or may not be related.

We had the same "only the board owner" permissions set for our boards and projects, so when I spotted someone else's board in my dashboard, I was curious and opened the board. I wanted to check the sharing settings, but there was no Share button at all. I called the board owner up, so we could look at the settings. While a board owner could set the permissions so that only the owner and co-owner could share, what actually ended up happing was that the board was set to public access, making it visible in my team space dashboard.

If you think of it, I'd be curious to know what happened and what the resolution was. 

@Robert Johnson - will let you know when support get back to me. At the moment it’s a bit of a “something doesn’t feel right” but will be happy for this to be a case of something simple I’ve missed!

I’ve tested this with multiple users on multiple boards. Some can be explained with the board being made public, but there’s others which I can’t explain. Normal users can view boards I don’t think they should be able to, but as an admin I can also see the share button to see the settings, and some of the viewable boards are locked down to a few people, but are now viewable by everyone.

Example (I’m not part of the space that this board is shared with)

@Stuart Gibbons - Sorry if I missed this already, but is that project/space you are showing set so that anyone can view boards that are in it? (Projects/Spaces permissions can override board/user permissions):

Ah thank you @Robert Johnson I think this may be it! I just don’t know if/what has changed it on our spaces (or I just never noticed it before)

@Stuart Gibbons - Ahhh, I think I know why! I had noted earlier that these two filters appear to be stuck/reverting back to the first option, which is now for boards “Owned by anyone”, so perhaps you used to be set to “Owned by me”:

I already have a support ticket open for these filters not “sticking” to other options.

@Robert Johnson that’s a good theory for how it’s become apparent to me in the last couple of days. Maybe it’s always been like that, but over the last few years we’ve been using Miro, I’ve always had to go and add people specifically to a project. But most projects/spaces now seem to include ‘view’ permission for the whole company by default.

Maybe that changed at some point and I missed it

Thanks again for your help.