Answered

Glitchy Boards - What are we doing wrong?

• 6 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello!

We have been using Miro for little over 3 weeks for online workshops of anywhere between 2 to 10 participants (Consulting Plan - with Day Pass access). My team have asked me to throw this out here to see if we can glean any advice from your expertise.

The feedback has been that as more people collaborate on a Board, glitches tend to happen. Is this primarily due to internet (speed/disruption) or is there a setting within Miro we have overlooked that makes bigger group meetings better optimised? 

If the content on the Board are big files, IE high res images that have been uploaded - could this affect performance?

We are using Zoom to do video conferencing (not the Board) and the main activity the participants are engaged is using Stickies.

Any thoughts or advice would be warmly welcome - thank you so much!

Kristy

icon

Best answer by Marina 13 April 2020, 14:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Kristy

A lot of factors can affect board performance. First of all, it depends on the board content itself: the size and quantity of images and files uploaded to the board. The larger and more packed your board is, the longer it can take to load and the slower to navigate.

Apart from the content, board performance is influenced to a large extent by your device and network connection. You can learn more about the recommended requirements and technical guidelines in this handy article: System Requirements.

Finally, for the best experience, we recommend using Google Chrome.

10 participants on the board is not an issue. @Falk Kühnel mentioned here that:

We had 180 clients working on a miro board at the same time and it worked very fluent. 

without showing collaborators’ cursors.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think a much-appreciated thing would be if you would list some best practice in order to let users better optimize their board’s performance, like the use of png vs jpg files, maximum total file size, how number of objects affect performance, using collab's cursors on or off etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Johan, great idea!

I agree that it will be super helpful. Let me research this :relaxed:

Hi @Marina - is there an update on best practices for file sizes and types to maximize effectiveness? I’m having a hard time with a 5MB PDF Map not loading and am wondering what I should try in terms of file types etc.

Thanks!

Justin

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Justin Jones,

I’m sorry you are having hard times with that file. We’ve published tips to optimize board performance. Make sure to check them out :point_up_2_tone2:

If this map is still not loading, I would recommend reaching out to the support team, share the board and the file with them, so that they can test it out.

Feature request: to be able to convert any number of selected widgets/frames into an image directly on the board (and thus remove the original widgets.) 

Use case - I try to conduct end to end design strategy including research, prototyping, workshops, and wireframing in a single Miro board. Nearing the end of a project the board slows down considerably as I have thousands of widgets/elements, but I rarely need to interact with individual widgets from the earlier stages of the project and would be fine just having a kind of auto-screenshot replacement for them. Replacing them manually is time intensive.