'Double tap to add the last object used' feature is not working anymore

• 12 December 2021
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3

Help me out someone, please!

I’ve been using Miro for half a year now, everything worked smoothly, but 2 days ago I accidentally did something, and NOW the ‘Double tap to add the last object used’ feature is not working.

Now, if I double tap on the board, nothing appears, neither the T for the text, nor squares or stickers.

How can I have that function back?

Please, I hope someone knows.

Thank you <3

61 replies

Please bring back the double click shortcut!!! Not having it has slowed me down significantly. I hope you consider bringing it back as a feature you can turn on/off

I also just signed in into here to tell you that me and my whole team across 5 miro boards are all SO sad about this change.

We loved having the double tap to make a sticky note. it makes such a difference! Honestly it sounds strange but it was one of your coolest smartest features.

Please bring it back as an optional feature.

Please.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Userlevel 1

@Lena Shenkarenko @Helga 

Not having the double-click feature is so disappointing.

I used it for quick notes when doing UX interviews….can’t do that now, too slow :(

I used it for a lot of workshops where timed activities, you need to brainstorm and throw a bunch of notes.

ESPECIALLY when using for collaboration activities with various business teams. They are not always the most tech saavy, so having an easy way instead of having to explain yet one more thing about a new tool (the N shortcut) for them to use an already “new” experience for them.

All of my colleagues use this function, across multiple companies and teams. If the basic speed is impacted this much, it doesn’t necessarily matter what special features you have, since the basic ideas are altered. (with the N you still have to click on color and click on page, still too slow and you can’t capture important SPEEDY conversations appropriately.)

I am trying to get this set up for an enterprise like I did for my other positions. This will be a factor. Please reconsider adding this feature back in, it is truly impactful.

Userlevel 1

I had to google this after weeks of frustration, people signing up here just to comment shows how important this feature was, and I’m starting to think the metric was misinterpreted, as I believe I have created and removed notes a lot, and not by accident, thus contributing to this metric, if anything, it is showing how much it improves usability to the point where you don’t care anymore about the effort on creating new items. Now it hurts having to add new stickies, and I have tried the alternatives mentioned before but nothing comes close to the original feature. It sounds crazy but this single feature makes enough difference and produces enough frustration for me to stop using the service all together until it is reverted or improved. 

Me and my team (quite big team) absolutely NEED that feature. Since this feature is gone, it slowed down the work dramatically. It makes such a BIG difference.

Please bring that feature back - even if you make it optional for the user to turn it on/off.

But the doubleclick is absolutely NECESSARY!

Thank you!

@Everyone:

Please vote on the wish-list to bring the feature back:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812

Very unfortunate that this feature has been removed. When I was screening white board apps to use, only ones with that functionality made it to the short list. Miro ended up at that top of the shortlist, but I now find I need to start from scratch, as this is really such a convenient feature.

I used this feature all the time. Like many others said before it speeds things up a lot.
Several other features like snapping can be enabled/disabled in the settings. This should be fairly straight forward to add to that list.
Can you please bring it back? One more vote from me.

Userlevel 2

Please vote to bring it back:
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/bring-back-double-click-to-add-the-last-object-used-6812?postid=29198#post29198

@Helga I used this feature also all the time. Not having the double-click feature is so disappointing. Like many others said before it speeds things up a lot.

Please bring it back, optional is fine and should be the best for all. 

Best,

Maximilian

Userlevel 1

I would really love to have this feature back - it only took a single action to create multiple objects exactly where I wanted them (especially useful when creating lots of sticky notes during retros with multiple columns!). Now I either need to copy and paste (2 actions) a fresh object or click the sidebar, click the page, and then double click to edit (3 actions). Yeah, sometimes you forget which object you were on last and create something just to delete it, but that is FAR preferable to not even having the option to double click.

Userlevel 2

Also you can press

“n” for sticky note

The cursor will change into a sticky note pointer and you can click once to create a note with the same colour previously used. 

Userlevel 1

I can add my vote for this being a much used feature, having it as a default off setting would satisfy us pro users and make newcomers have a nicer experience 

Userlevel 1

This is how I know that UX isn’t empowered. If you are finding that people delete some notes after double-clicking, you don’t remove the feature. There are other solutions and I haven’t seen your qual research, but why not make it a setting? Double-click drops your last used object - on/off.

So you can double click OR:

• Find an object. Copy it. Paste it.
  • Press n. Then click.
  • Go to the left toolbar. Click on the object. Click on the sub-choice for the object. Click where you want that.

You took something easy and intuitive that took two taps/clicks, and made it manually intensive. You removed something people needed and used, and why? Because some people didn’t use it? Can you imagine what would be left in Miro if you completely removed SOME things people didn’t use?

Be careful when you think you are saving a user from themselves. If your observational research shows that people double clicked by mistake, erased the object, and did that over and over and never learned, then *they* might need to turn that feature off.

What did they think they were doing by double clicking? I would imagine that observing these things would inspire you to possibly change the double click to what users thought their task was. But to just remove it?

Please empower UX teams, and make sure you are hiring highly-qualified UX practitioners who can apply critical thinking. Let them find and solve problems because removing a popular feature because some people had a wacky time with it doesn’t seem like the right answer.

Please put this feature back and make it a setting. Do you want double clicking to drop your last used object? Yes/no

Or what do you want double clicking to do? Drop the last used object/thing observational research showed that users thought they were doing by double clicking.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I signed up just to add my voice to this thread. BRING THE DOUBLE CLICK POST IT NOTE BACK! I’m so frustrated. I can’t believe you’d make a decision based on (not very compelling) data without understanding the impact removing this functionality would have on users. 

Userlevel 2

Im also badly missing the ‘double click’ feature. It was so handy to capture notes in a quick fashion. It’s so much slower to do them individually. Please bring this make this feature as an option!

Userlevel 1

Echoing other users’ disappointment here. I do rapid mapping of very complex meetings, and people rely on me to be able to map out ideas quickly. The double-click was the only option that allowed me to move the map arround and add notes quickly wherever I wanted. This was a bad call.

Userlevel 2

super disappointing that this feature went away -- definitely slows me down to get things done in Miro - was one of my favorite features when working in adhoc groups and discussions

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

64% of us deleted the last appearing object just because we forgot to change the object!!! Immediately after the removal we used the double-click effective function to continue our work at the same speed, saving our time and effort! And it is normal - to delete objects as we may change our minds. The same object with the same shape, colour, type and font. Please, return the function! we need it so much!

Please bring back the double-tap! I am so sad to learn that it’s being deprecated. It was arguably one of the most useful aspects of Miro vs other competitors. The hot key/work arounds are just not as intuitive. I would gladly participate in research on the subject. Removing double-tap is definitely going backward for your users.

I logged in here specifically to add my voice to this thread - please bring back this feature. It’s such a time saver, and as many others in this thread have said, it’s very inconvenient to have to do what in effect are workarounds because you’ve disabled this feature.

Also as someone else has said, the double click was the only /best way of quickly adding a rectangular / long sticky note. I’m in despair, thinking of how much time I’m going to waste, not having this double click feature any more. Please bring it back. 

I am really disappointed to experience this deprecation.

Please bring the double clicking functionality back !!

It was an excellent functionality and I think the interpretation of data here was not correct (with all respect).

Please bring it back !!

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Just adding my 2-cents here - I am familiar with all the other ways to add (for example) sticky notes, but I find the double click much easier when making random notes on the fly quickly, the other options require more clicks, moving the mouse after taking an action, keypresses with another hand, etc. I am in Miro all day from conducting trainings, running workshops, or just making notes with my team and still am annoyed every time I am trying to make a new note.

I agree with the suggestion to add the option for users to turn this feature on if they want it.

Userlevel 1

I wish I had better news for you but we are going to completely deprecate the double-click shortcut. And there is no way to keep in on the particular users’ accounts as it’s not technically possible. As we already mentioned, we made that decision because our data shows that in 64% of cases the newly created widget is either removed or not edited. The shortcut has no indication of what widget will be created, and causes unnecessary friction in both continuous and first-time usage. Also, the adoption of the feature isn’t high enough to justify investing in improving its UX. 
We hope for your understanding.

This is outraging. I am so, so pissed off. You don’t have my understanding, I give you instead my sincere frustration and anger for screwing up my productivity. Miro is the one tool I use every day. Now every time I want to create a sticky (which is a lot of times), I am reminded that your team decided to f… with my productivity. And as I am so invested in the tool, I am not likely to switch to the competition, so I feel trapped with your abysmal design decision-making process.

This is design incompetence 101.

Please bring back this feature. It really helps me speed up my work and keep it optional !!!

Userlevel 1

I also signed up just to echo the request to bring this back! It really slows me down and I keep making that mistake and getting annoyed. I even convinced my new work place to get Miro because it is a life saver, but these small things make the experience slower. Why remove it if it doesnt interfere with anything? Isnt it similar to undo or redo? 

I also noticed the switch between pan and select has become worse, before it auto detected, but now you have to actively press a key to note the difference. Please bring back those 2 shortcuts!