Can someone explain like I'm 5, the practical difference between team members and visitors?

• 26 July 2022
  • 4 replies

I would like to create a few boards which I use to collaborate with clients. So I would like clients to have access and edit rights on these boards. 

As far as I can tell I can invite people to my boards as visitors and they can collaborate freely. 

The only reason I can see to upgrade to team plan is that it gives me more than 3 editable boards. 

I dont understand what a “team” is versus a “visitor” and as such I dont understand if I should buy more seats and what account to get.. 

Also.. Lets say I decide that I want my contributors to be team members rather than visitors. Do they need to be paid users for this to work? 

If I’m not mistaken, when I was on a free plan I was able to add team members. But when I upgrade to team plan (1 seat) it only allowed me to add team members on the basis of a 7 day trial. Why would my team members have more privileges when I’m on a free plan? Or is my understanding way off? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Yoni Balkind.

• Visitors are one-time & unregistered collaborators who can access the content of the board but cannot share it with other users and use certain features. Visitors can only access public boards. Learn more

• Guests are external and occasional collaborators who can collaborate on shared boards, when invited by email. They have access to the content of the board, retain access to boards in their dashboard, and can use collaborative features. Guests can access particular boards but they are not members of your team. Guests are named and visible on the board as they are always registered. Learn more

• Members are frequent and registered collaborators, who have access to all features in your paid plan, and can both edit board content as well as create boards. Members are named and visible on the board as they are registered. They can access all team-shared boards and projects

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017571194-Roles-in-Miro

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Yoni Balkind 

I would like to create a few boards which I use to collaborate with clients. So I would like clients to have access and edit rights on these boards. 

As far as I can tell I can invite people to my boards as visitors and they can collaborate freely. 

The Visitors feature is not available on Free Plan teams. The only way someone can edit a board in a Free Plan team is if they are a member of the the team. ALL members of a Free Plan team can see ALL boards in that team, so unless your clients are not all a part of the same organization, you would not want to do this.

The only reason I can see to upgrade to team plan is that it gives me more than 3 editable boards.

After my previous comment, surely you now see that unlimited editable boards is not the only benefit.

But when I upgrade to team plan (1 seat) it only allowed me to add team members on the basis of a 7 day trial.

You don’t have to upgrade. You can also just create a new (paid) team:

Why would my team members have more privileges when I’m on a free plan?

As I mentioned before, there are additional benefits to having a paid plan - you can see a full comparison of plans here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730233-Plans-and-features-available

Visitors vs. Guests

First, the Guests feature is not available on the Team Plan - it is only the Consultant, Business, and Enterprise Plans.

Before we continue to breakdown all of the pros/cons/caveats/etc., I would interested in understanding exactly how you need to work with your clients.

For example:

• Do you work with clients from different organizations, e.g., you need to segregate information for privacy/confidentially purposes?
  • Will your clients need to create their own Miro board in your account? (Visitors and Guests cannot do this).
  • Assuming you will be collaborating remotely, will you be exclusively using Miro’s vide chat or will you use using a standalone application, e.g., Teams/Zoom/Google Meet? This matters as there are some features that only Guests can do, e.g., Mention people in Comments; Lock/unlock content; set up Video chat, timers, and do screen sharing inside of Miro.
  • Do you anticipate needing different access levels for a board, e.g., one person should be able to edit the board while another has view-only access - you could do this with the Guests feature, but not for Visitors.

Hi @Yoni Balkind.

• Visitors are one-time & unregistered collaborators who can access the content of the board but cannot share it with other users and use certain features. Visitors can only access public boards. Learn more

• Guests are external and occasional collaborators who can collaborate on shared boards, when invited by email. They have access to the content of the board, retain access to boards in their dashboard, and can use collaborative features. Guests can access particular boards but they are not members of your team. Guests are named and visible on the board as they are always registered. Learn more

• Members are frequent and registered collaborators, who have access to all features in your paid plan, and can both edit board content as well as create boards. Members are named and visible on the board as they are registered. They can access all team-shared boards and projects

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017571194-Roles-in-Miro slime rancher 2

спасибо за ваш ответ!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Been a while since I have see this post and I have a note about the following:

Visitors are one-time & unregistered collaborators who can access the content of the board but cannot share it with other users and use certain features.

Specifically:

but cannot share it with other users

They absolutely can share the content of the board -- all then have to do is share the lnik (and password, if one was confiugred).