Skip to main content

Hi, I noticed during the last one week all my boards are very laggy and slow. It takes up to 5-6 seconds for the board to respond to an interaction. This is incredibly annoying and looking at the history of this issue - it appears it is quite a common problem. Please would you look into this and resolving it once and for all?

ty

Hi there! I’m a designer working with giant and constantly expanding Miro boards. I have begun to notice lag in performance and was wondering what the heaviest hitters would be so that I can minimize my board’s performance issues especially while working with others. 

My board contains high-resolution images, lots of handwritten notes from the iPad, some shapes, and some bits of text.

What would be best to minimize?

• Remove images?
  • Reduce the amount of space the objects take up on the board? Does the space between objects on the board affect board performance?
  • Reduce handwritten vectors? Does handwriting increase calculations?

On another note I’ve noticed that my handwritten vectors will show up polygonal with no curvature later on when I open the board. Is this one of Miro’s tactics for reducing the board size?

Thank you for your question! It's great that you're considering optimizing your Miro board for better performance.

To address your concerns:

• High-resolution images can indeed slow down performance. Reducing the number of images or lowering their resolution could help.
  • Space between objects on the board doesn’t directly impact performance, but the sheer amount of objects does. Consolidating objects where possible might help.
  • Handwritten vectors from your iPad can also contribute to lag, as they tend to have more data points compared to standard text or shapes. Simplifying or reducing handwritten content could make a difference.

Regarding the polygonal appearance of handwritten vectors, Miro does sometimes optimize board content by simplifying shapes, which may be why you're seeing reduced curvature later on. This helps improve loading times and performance, especially with large boards.

For more tips, you can also check out this article: How to improve board performance.

Also, If you’re interested in learning more about some of Miro’s biggest product updates that may be relevant to your use case, save your spot here at our Canvas ‘24 event happening October 8th. Please let me know if you have any additional questions – happy to help!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your question! It's great that you're considering optimizing your Miro board for better performance.

To address your concerns:

• High-resolution images can indeed slow down performance. Reducing the number of images or lowering their resolution could help.
  • Space between objects on the board doesn’t directly impact performance, but the sheer amount of objects does. Consolidating objects where possible might help.
  • Handwritten vectors from your iPad can also contribute to lag, as they tend to have more data points compared to standard text or shapes. Simplifying or reducing handwritten content could make a difference.

Regarding the polygonal appearance of handwritten vectors, Miro does sometimes optimize board content by simplifying shapes, which may be why you're seeing reduced curvature later on. This helps improve loading times and performance, especially with large boards.

For more tips, you can also check out this article: How to improve board performance.

Also, If you’re interested in learning more about some of Miro’s biggest product updates that may be relevant to your use case, save your spot here at our Canvas ‘24 event happening October 8th. Please let me know if you have any additional questions – happy to help!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Eca!

There doesn’t happen to be a way to flatten some of my handwriting to an image or something simpler does there?

And there doesn’t happen to be a way to reduce image quality for large images?

Just adding to the chorus here… 

Long-time power user and advocate. I’ve convinced so many people to start using this app for remote collaboration…  but due to the extremely infuriating random and unpredictable performance issues, I am finding myself desperately searching for an alternative.  

This app had so much potential for so many teams.  It used to be solid.  It worked flawlessly for me through the pandemic.  So its really unfortunate that energy (and computational power) is being spent on unnecessary UI bells and whistles (please let me turn off profile pictures in comments btw) and adding “AI features” when it only compounds the underlying problems to basic functions (which users have been begging for fixes for at least a couple years now).

Hi @dborowsk,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and I understand your frustration. It's always difficult when performance issues interfere with your workflow, especially after advocating for the tool within your teams.

Our team is continuously working on improving Miro's performance, but I appreciate your concern about prioritizing basic functionality over additional features. Your feedback about profile pictures in comments and the focus on AI features is noted, and I’ll make sure to pass this along to our team.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, I recommend checking out this article on improving board performance as it offers practical tips to mitigate some of the lag. Additionally, if you experience persistent issues, please feel free to contact our support team with details about your setup so they can investigate further.