@mention notifications in chat?

• 11 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Is an @mention in chat supposed to send a notification? I have the notifications turned on in my settings and the function works great if I’m @mentioned in a comment. But I do not receive a notification when I’m @mentioned in chat. If anyone has a though on how to get that to work, I would be grateful.

Robert Johnson 3 years ago

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Daniel.rauch It depends on if you have When someone @mentions me in any comments enabled and for which platform (Email, Mobile push, or Slack).

To start, check your settings. I’m not sure if you can do this from the mobile app, but you can for sure on through the browser version (and Windows desktop app for sure):

1. Click your profile icon at the top-right corner and select Settings

2. And then the Notifications tab:

I did a test from one account to another and the mobile app (Android) came through in less than a second and the email within two minutes.

Thanks @Rob Johnson for the response. This all works for “comments”, but not for “chat” for me. Are you saying your tests confirm the @mentions work for the Miro “chat” function?

I have tested with email, Slack, and the app - I only get notifications when @mentioned in “comments” (not “chat”).

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

D’oh!I had ‘comments’ on my brain. My apologies for taking us in the wrong direction :wink:  Now that we both know notifications for mentions in Comments work, let me try in a chat…

It is not working - no push notification or email, which is not surprising as there is no setting to reflect this in Settings > Notifications.

I could see this being very useful and would probably only send an external notification if the user being mentioned was not active in the board at the time of the mention. This sounds like an excellent Wish List item if you wanted to post there (I did a search and didn’t find anything like what you’ve described).

Thanks again @Rob Johnson 

the Miro documentation states that @mention in chat works: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730893--Mentioning-People-on-the-Board

unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case. I can see a lot of utility in this if it works.

kindest regards 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Given

1. there is no notification setting in my aforementioned reply for When someone @mentions me in any chat; and
  2. Notifications are not being sent when someone @mentions me in a chat,

All I can conclude at this point is that the @Mentioning People on the Board help article is incorrect and therefore misleading, specifically where it states, ‘you may need to quickly notify someone about the changes you’re making. You can do that by simply @mentioning them in a comment or chat.’ 

While you do get  visually ‘notified’ for unread chats, the behavior is the same regardless if you were @mentioned in a chat or not.

The Chat help article that is linked to from the @Mentioning People on the Board article does do a better job at explaining the intended behavior:

@Marina Are you able to confirm that @mentioning someone in a chat will not send the user a notification? If so, I will submit a Wish List item if @Daniel.rauch or @Curly's iPad have not already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Rob Johnson,

No, chat messages do not send sound or email notifications, there is only a number on the chat icon in the collaboration toolbar. 

Thanks @Marina and @Rob Johnson . I have not added it, but do concur it would be quite useful.

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Daniel.rauch, @Marina:

Wish List post created: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/receive-notifications-when-atmentioned-in-a-board-chat-1666

Vote away!