Click to copy text fuction

• 6 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone!

So I’m 100% new and as such I have an overwhelming anxiety of asking a question that I haven’t already seen when searching but I only went so far back, so who knows (apologies if it has been asked/answered already).

I’m looking to create a sort of directory for my colleagues that could potentially be used across the entirety of E.ON Next (for anyone who doesn’t know, it’s the new version of E.ON, with them having announced that they are closing).

At present, my team use a spreadsheet I’ve edited to look aesthetically pleasing in the way that I know how to, and it consists of a series of phone numbers, handy information and then there’s areas of the page that I’ve coloured and hyperlinked to external information pages. It works okay but I can of course see the potential in the MIRO whiteboard. Particularly as I’ve just skimmed a video where a guy showed me how to anchor to different areas of the whiteboard, which is going to be immeasurably useful.

My only question so far is, is it possible for the text I place on sticky notes or whatever to be ‘one clicked’ and copied? Is this a function I can turn on somehow? Is this available (or only available) if I export the whiteboard as a PDF perhaps, as so far I’ve only tested this by emailing my personal email address a link to the test page I’ve created to see if it would ‘auto-copy’ the text or if I’d have to drag then CTRL+C the text.

It’s obviously much quicker to simply click a number to then paste it elsewhere over having to accurately drag the mouse and then copy. In some cases there’s an option to double click a number and then copy it but I’m just wondering what the capabilities are here and how if it’s something I can achieve as I create the whiteboard if it’s more something that’s an outcome of how I export it/share it.

I really appreciate any responses of support with this!

I’m so excited and can’t wait to get started!

Thank you!

Michael :)

p.s. if this isn’t currently available, then I’ll be happy to submit it as a wish list request, if that’s okay of course.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Collins - Welcome to Miro and the community :relaxed:

I tested both ‘selecting’ and then either Ctrl-C or using “Copy” from the selected objects context menu and then pasting into an external application and could not get the text to carry over. I tested this with:

So, it would appear that there is no way to just have text copied to your clipboard.

Let’s talk options:

Wish List

Go for it! You can follow the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Exporting to CSV

You can export most objects to CSV, e.g., sticky notes, however, if I am understanding your use case, then you would be adding spreadsheet data to a board as sticky notes and then asking someone to export to CSV/a spreadsheet again. 

What about embedding your spreadsheet into the Miro board? If you are using OneDrive or Google Drive, you can read about this here:

You may run into some challenges if your sheet is in a corporately managed MS365/Google Workspace account. If so, you could still just put a good ol’ fashioned hyperlink to the sheet on the board.

If you are able to “embed” the sheet, and your other board participants are full team members of your Miro team where the Miro board resides, they should see the sheet open in the board in a Modal window - here’s example of an embedded Google Sheet:

… okay, so something is up with my video drivers and I can’t record my screen at the moment. Here’s screenshots:

Of course, you still have to copy the text to your clipboard.

Miro Developer Platform

You may be able to have someone create a very simple web-plugin that would let you select an object and then click a button in one of the tool bars. Note: Only team members would be able to authorize and use this app. Again, it would take at least two clicks/actions to get the data to the clipboard (if even possible at all).

@Max Harper - Thoughts?

You can read more about the Developer Platform here.

Userlevel 1

@Robert Johnson Thank you for the warm welcome and for such an extensive and informative response! :slight_smile::thumbsup:

I will indeed submit a Wish List Idea post in relation to this and if anything comes from in that great but for now I will try a plan B or C, etc.

You were absolutely bang on regarding the barrier in my initial attempt to try to upload the spreadsheet from my Google Drive (something about permissions as I sort of anticipated) so I instead created a copy of the original spreadsheet (which consisted over many various tabs all with sheet after sheet of varying information) and then removed all the tabs I didn’t need, whittling it down to just the one tab, and then saved a hard copy of this, which I then uploaded to my MIRO page, but for some bizarre reason, it’s completely ignoring the info on the only tab I have left and is instead loading fragments of information from one of the tabs I had deleted,

Not sure how to fix that so I’m happy to start copy/pasting all the info over manually, as it’s entirely manageable, as most of what I hope to include is yet to be created yet anyway and before I set down this path I wanted to familiarise myself with the capabilities so I can get an idea of what the finishing line looks like before staring running wild :grin:

So, I’ll give it an old go and see how I get on :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your quick and helpful response!

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Collins 

but for some bizarre reason, it’s completely ignoring the info on the only tab I have left and is instead loading fragments of information from one of the tabs I had deleted,

Does this still happen if you were to either rename the spreadsheet or upload it to another board?

Viewing any uploaded document results in a very lightweight, print-preview style render of the document which doesn’t include any hyperlinks that may be in the document.

Userlevel 1

I did try this but it still came up the same. It’s not a problem now anyway as I’ve copy/pasted the info that I needed now anyway and I can’t see me needing this function any time soon, though other people may of course. Thanks :thumbsup: