Linking objects together in Miro

• 4 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Miro Community,

This week we’re highlighting a standalone video about linking objects.

As you may already know, one of Miro’s super powers is that every object on a board has its own URL. This allows you to add hyperlinks inside the board itself, making it quick and easy to jump to a specific location with the click of a button. Watch the video in the standalone section at Miro Academy.

How do you use linking in Miro? Let us know below!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Annika Robbins This super power is one of my favourite features in Miro! :chains:

I have done some onboarding boards where I sprinkle a lot of links. And org charts! I add the actual chart with all the names in the top of the board, then I link to Profile Cards with more information on all individuals. It’s really neat, and appreciated. :blush:

Userlevel 3

@Henrik Ståhl Thank you so much for sharing this example!! Love the quick and handy idea of linking people in an org chart to individual profile cards, will keep that in mind for future Miro Academy courses. :dizzy:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks, @Annika Robbins! I learned something new today: You can select an object on the board rather than first having to “copy its link”!

Link to vs. insert link

While we’re sharing, I thought I would point out a small--but sometimes painfully big--detail about linking to objects within a board that a few Miro users have learned the difference the hard way.

For most objects, there is the option to create a link from text using the insert link (link icon) option, e.g., here it is on a Text object:

While you can use this to paste in a link to an object within the current (or another) board, if when the current objects are copy/pasted, the links will not automatically update. This is also true if you were to create a Custom Template of internally linked objects and use these on multiple boards, or if you were to Duplicate the board, or back it up to a .rtb file and later restore it.

Why would this even matter?

Let’s say you have two frames on a board, e.g., Frame A and Frame B. You link A to B using using the “insert link” method. Then you save these frames as a Custom Template and add that template to another board. When the user clicks on the link on Frame A, it doesn’t link to Frame B on the current board, but instead it opens the old board and links to Frame B.

This is all noted in the Internal and external linking → Linking text Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572354-Internal-and-external-linking#h_01F75MYWH2KKTTTRGRDY8N12R5

Linking text

When working with objects that include text, click the link icon on the context menu to insert a link into the text. You can also select some text and use Ctrl + V (for Windows)/Cmd + V (for Mac) to paste a link.

inserting_a_link_into_text.gif
Inserting a link into text on a sticky note

✏️  If you link two objects on a board via the Insert link option and then duplicate the board, the link on the board copy will lead to the original board. However, when you link two objects on the board via the Link to option and then duplicate the board, the link on the copy remains internal (it brings to the object on the same board).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you so much for sharing this example!! Love the quick and handy idea of linking people in an org chart to individual profile cards, will keep that in mind for future Miro Academy courses. :dizzy:  

Thanks @Annika Robbins! This inspires me to make a generic version of the profile card I created and share in Miroverse. Just have to fiddle a bit with the image. :sweat_smile:  Would really love a revamped image editing feature in Miro. :innocent: