Words that should be banned forever

• 19 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I wrote this story on Medium titled “5 IT Management Words That Should Be Banned Forever.” In essence, it’s about the kind of impact the use of some common management words might have on an organization in general and the agility of product development teams in particular.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Are there any words you refrain from using? Or words you try to use extra often because it helps enable a certain mindset?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Henrik Ståhl - Great article - thanks for sharing!

While I agree with the misuse of all five words, as a business analyst, “Requirement” bothers me the most. It sounds so robotic.

Instead, I like to start the conversation with, “what problem are you trying to solve?” From there, each pain point//need should include a specific example of the current state, an even that will occur, and what the desired outcome would be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks @Robert Johnson, I’m glad you liked the article! You sound like my type of business analyst. :wink: “Requirement” sounds really robotic and absolute. And nothing in software development is absolute.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Love outcome over output and people with certain expertise/skills over resources. Well said, @Henrik Ståhl

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you @Alexis Luscutoff! “Resources” is one of the worst words on the list. Such a callous and unsympathetic way to refer to people.

Userlevel 1

I absolutely love and agree with banning the word resources when referring to people! I wrote about it a couple months ago: https://awkwardagile.com/people-vs-resources/