“UX? Oh, that’s great but what is it…?” - A short article about my experiences in UX so far.

• 22 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Check out my latest article on UX Design and my experience starting out learning the industry! 

https://bootcamp.uxdesign.cc/ux-oh-thats-great-but-what-is-it-cc3a28d70007

Always happy to connect with fellow UXers, so please get in touch - 

www.linkedin.com/in/samuel-pantcheff-848354230

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Samuel Pantcheff, interesting piece! I left a comment on the article. I'll post it here as well. 😊

Great article! The fact that the goal for a UXer is to design themselves out of the way is kind of understated, probably because it's so (incorrectly) entangled with UI design.

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much Henrik! 

I totally agree. I think we can get caught up in methodologies or best practices that occasionally we forget that the User shouldn’t directly or tangibly experience that side of our work.

Not to mention the UI side of things…

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I guess it is one of those things where good UX is quite subtle with people tending to remember the negatives. 

People do not give it much though, e.g. there are tonnes of people who love Apple for example. But if you went up to them and said, Apple have really great UX, they’d be responding with sure! 

I love that you are an opera singer, how exciting! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Karen M Exactly! It's like doors with no knobs or handles; they make you intuitively push to open it. You don't even need to think about it. That's great UX.

Faucets with sensors (and no handles) in public restrooms, on the other hand; innovative, smart, in many ways better than “manual” faucets. Great UX though? Not often. Especially when they were uncommon and most people wasn't familiar with the concept at all.