Skip to main content

Treat lines like other geometry

• 10 June 2024
  • 1 reply

From request #711847

1.      - issues with lines 01 - shows how a group without lines is considered a single object. To confirm, do you want the group to be considered multiple objects or is the single object a reference point for the next issue? K: A single object.

2.      - issues with lines 02 - shows how a group with lines is considered multiple objects. Could you clarify your end goal with the multiple objects? Do you want the multiple objects to be grouped and moved together? If so, could you try selecting the multiple objects and moving them? Please see the following GIF and guide on How to move multiple objects with more details on how to do this. K: I want each group or frame to be consistently treated as an individual object.

3.      - issues with lines 03 - shows how having groups that has lines in them suppresses Align/Distribute. To confirm, are you using connection lines on the object or lines drawn using the Pen tool? If you're using the pen tool, could you try using a Connection line to see if you're able to use the Align feature? K: I am using the Connection Lines tool…because it creates straight lines. The Pen Tool doesn’t create straight lines…at least not easily or intuitively. Even if it did straight lines easier, I would not use the pen to create lines for for diagramming because it doesn’t support dashes and other controls. It’s for sketching.

4.      - issues with lines 04 - While Magic Align will work on groups and frames with lines it sometimes fails with objects with lines. It appears that the objects in the video (the green squares) are not pulling the the pink objects with them when using the align feature. This is likely because the objects/shapes are not automatically grouped together when layered this way. Could you try grouping the objects together? (i.e. select one green square and the objects within it and select Group Objects on the pop-up menu). Here's a helpful guide on how to Group Objects and an image below on how to to do this. Once all three squares are grouped individually, you can use the alignment tool as expected. Please let me know if this works for you on your end!K: I know how to group things because the issue is with what MIRO considers to be groups. MIRO creates the expectation that things in frames are pseudo-groups and that, if there are no connection lines inside them, the content moves with the frame. See attached video – the gray squares move with the frames but the lines do not. 

Ignore the “connection” aspect. Lines in frames or groups should act like shapes. The connection aspect only matters when shapes are being moved independently and when the ends are attached to connection points, otherwise, it’s just a line. And even if the ends are attached to connection points, if the lines are grouped they should just be considered shapes in the group and move with the group. If the line connects to a part of a group but is not grouped with the group then it is only dependent on the group for the connection point it is connected to.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Karl Mochel at ServiceNow 

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit this idea and share your feedback. Appreciate the very detailed notes you provided.

Should our team have any other questions, they will be sure to follow up.  For those coming across this idea, if you feel it's helpful to have or have additional suggestions, please be sure to vote for it and leave a comment about your use case to help our team scope this request.