Miro examples in hybrid workshops

• 24 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello, fellow Miro gurus. I’ve cited Miro articles (Hybrid Collaborating Field Guide) and used Miro as my go-to whiteboard example in a new book about hybrid facilitation, Hybrid Live Guide, on pages: 13, 17, 18, 25, 44, 50, 61, 86, 108, 109, 111, 113, 114, 115, and 126. The book is free to download and share: www.knowmium.com/hybrid

Here is a specific example of using Miro on pages 108 and 109:

There are times when all participants will benefit from collaborating on the same virtual tools. In our effort to create equality, have all hybrid participants use the same exact tool. Beyond equality is functionality and collaboration, both of which are supported when groups use the same virtual tools. Miro is my go-to virtual whiteboard. Getting both in-person and virtual participants on Miro allows them to contribute to the same activities in the same ways and even be in the same teams. The in-person participants don’t need to be on a virtual meeting platform either, just Miro.

Pre-session, I set up a Miro board designed to walk participants through an innovation process including stages on identifying problems and brainstorming possible solutions.

During the session, the in-person participants connect to Miro through their browser or Miro’s app. Some use laptops. Some use tablets. Until this point in the session, the in-person participants never needed to connect to anything. The virtual participants connect to the same Miro board using their own devices, which they were already using to connect through Zoom. When I ask everyone to contribute their clients’ possible pain points and frustrations, everyone uses virtual sticky notes and writes their ideas. The notes start appearing in the same box I created for this activity. There is no differentiation between ideas posted by in-person and virtual participants. Sure, if they have logged into Miro, their name might appear, but that doesn’t affect the idea itself. As I call out specific ideas from the board, the contributor speaks to the entire group regardless of their location.

Post-session, I keep the board accessible for a few weeks so participants can revisit their work and progress. I often design additional post-session activities for further self-development and/or group activities. Because Miro allows a variety of files directly on the board, PDFs, slides, videos, and other resources are easily hosted in the link everyone already has.

If you have questions or suggestions about Miro in interactive hybrid workshops and activities, I’d love to chat about it! Robert

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you for sharing, @Robert Kienzle :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for your Book @Robert Kienzle.

It really helps me with my Master Thesis of optimizing hybride interactive workshops with the help of advanced  methods and technologies.

Do you think we could have an expert interview. I think you could give me some really good inputs and ideas and I would love to hear from you.

Kind Regards

Vladimir