Skip to main content

Move boards to new team when belonging to someone else

Related products: Permissions

I cannot move boards from one team to another when they belong to someone else.

I cannot perform this being an admin. There are workarounds like export and import. But then we create a new board and lose the link.

I also cannot delete the user and receive the boards this way, because the board and user persist.

Hi @Lutz Morrien 

Sorry to hear about your issues with moving boards. Are you a member of both boards? There are few things to look for -- here is a Help Article that outlines a few steps to move boards between teams.  Hopefully this might be helpful.

Hello @ElvaMiro,

thank you for indicating the posts. As said, I can move the board from one team to another:

1. delete current user and inherit boards. This results in the user loosing all boards and settings … not good
  2. download board, delete board, upload in new team
    This results in a new url plus the user is loosing th hold on his board
  3. swap ownership invite myself to board. Make me owner of board, move to new team, Reassign old owner.
    Best way to move boards, but I do not want ownership. I just want to move the board. As a service to our Board owners
  4. Best way: if the owners can, they should move the boards

So it does work, it is just very uncomfortable, if I want to move 10 or more boards.

@Lutz Morrien is enabling co-owner role in your company a choice? 

In company setting » Security » Collaboration Settings » Enable Co-owner role.

• The owner (or you) can add yourself as co-owner to the boards
  • Then move them, leave the board
  • Remove co-owner setting.

Here is a picture:

Shayne, thank you for the reply.

I have looked into that and it does work. I still do not see the point why I need ownership or co ownership to move boards. Imagine moving 30 boards this way. Why is it not possible to mark 30 boards and send them to another team? Instead I have to become owner or co owner for each board. I am admin. Let me be the general co owner of each board.

Thanks again,

moving boards for others is impractical for large numbers.

Greetings, Lutz

For clarification, the Co-owner role cannot move boards to another team:

Source: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021580759-Board-co-owner#h_01FG3F4KSHPSPJ7NYR270EHHQN