Skip to main content

Miro is fantastic on a massive screen. It’s like you can see, arrange and rearrange your mind in 2d. The bright background and colours work well for feeling energised, fresh, and productive early in the day. For those of us who get more done during the night, however, the brightness can feel glaring and have the opposite effect, causing fatigue, especially with extended use.

It feels like a godsend to night-owls that the software industry is finally recognising our needs with dark mode being added to everything. While the implementation would understandably be no small task, I, for one, would greatly benefit from dark mode being added to what has become a fantastic tool in my work and lifestyle.

Thank you for Miro, and the Wishlist,
Walter

Expanding on @mlanders‘ idea, I am also adding graphics about Miro’s “theorized” dark mode.

Although the idea of changing the board’s background color would definitely be a welcomed addition, it would not in fact be “dark mode” because the rest of the UI (user interface) would remain the same colors. For example, if you chose a deep navy blue board background color, the menus would remain white and would result in a sharp contrast also upsetting the eyes.

Dark Mode is normally a UI-wide change. If anything, I would suggest activating it in Settings (see first option) :

Which would result in the following :

As you can see, the menus are not white but grey, fitting for an actual “dark mode”.

Miro’s UI is CSS-based and so changing its colors is not terribly complicated nor time-consuming. It’s just a matter of applying these changes in the right places and making sure it toggles between light mode and dark mode seamlessly.

(For those wondering, the “dark mode” seen above is not an actual screenshot nor is it usable, I merely recreated Miro’s user interface in Photoshop. Hopefully it gets Miro’s design team sold on the idea and drive interest.) 

@Martin Lauzé :

Thanks for your work - this looks cool and how it should be.

Of course I still go with my background colour and background picture graphic wish.

And I can repeat and underline every sentence you said:

“Hopefully it gets Miro’s design team sold on the idea and drive interest

Michael

An update happened yesterday, I was hopping that it contains dark mode feature :(

I can’t use Miro now days since I work at night and the brightness just effects my eyes.

I wish if you guys can upload the update as soon as possible. It’s a mandatory feature that all other products implements.

Dark Mode! 🙏🌙

Expanding on @mlanders‘ idea, I am also adding graphics about Miro’s “theorized” dark mode.

Although the idea of changing the board’s background color would definitely be a welcomed addition, it would not in fact be “dark mode” because the rest of the UI (user interface) would remain the same colors. For example, if you chose a deep navy blue board background color, the menus would remain white and would result in a sharp contrast also upsetting the eyes.

Dark Mode is normally a UI-wide change. If anything, I would suggest activating it in Settings (see first option) :

Which would result in the following :

As you can see, the menus are not white but grey, fitting for an actual “dark mode”.

Miro’s UI is CSS-based and so changing its colors is not terribly complicated nor time-consuming. It’s just a matter of applying these changes in the right places and making sure it toggles between light mode and dark mode seamlessly.

(For those wondering, the “dark mode” seen above is not an actual screenshot nor is it usable, I merely recreated Miro’s user interface in Photoshop. Hopefully it gets Miro’s design team sold on the idea and drive interest.) 

There was another post earlier that showed what this feature would look like in practice; just re-iterating their value. Mega excited for a dark mode. Plus, it would make my compulsive white-background precedent a whopper of a time investment :)

I love dark modes. I already crank my color temperature / blue light way down in the evening (shout outs to my f.lux heads out there). This feature goes hand in hand.

Thanks kindly

Dark Mode please!

+1 and please include the desktop client as well! This is a must-have for those of us that work at night

Another feature request to change the background color of the board, this would help a lot: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/change-the-background-color-of-the-board-377?postid=18888#post18888

What I have found as a workaround for now is to use the web app and an extension like Dark Reader

Miro is fantastic on a massive screen. It’s like you can see, arrange and rearrange your mind in 2d. The bright background and colours work well for feeling energised, fresh, and productive early in the day. For those of us who get more done during the night, however, the brightness can feel glaring and have the opposite effect, causing fatigue, especially with extended use.

It feels like a godsend to night-owls that the software industry is finally recognising our needs with dark mode being added to everything. While the implementation would understandably be no small task, I, for one, would greatly benefit from dark mode being added to what has become a fantastic tool in my work and lifestyle.

Thank you for Miro, and the Wishlist,
Walter

Will save on power and eyes.

What I have found as a workaround for now is to use the web app and an extension like Dark Reader

@robi529 :

Thank you very much - this will work perfectly as long as we do not have the dark mode.

It’s a good workaroung - thanks again for sharing!

Michael

I came here to see if the feature was available. Seems not, but for all the night owls, here’s my workaround in the meantime. 

• Use the web-interface rather than desktop app.
  • Use a browser extension like Dark Reader to change the CSS settings for your view of the board.

What do you enter in Dev Tools to get it to look like that? No matter what I enter it either inverts too much or nothing at all.

If you’re like me and can’t live without it here’s a workaround:

I created a black rectangle and 90% opacity and used the send to back after right clicking the rectangle. Here’s what it looks like:

I think there is a post asking miro for dark mode which is one year old and still havent got any dark mode. People are just diverting from Miro because of this. The brightness of the screen is so white and un adjustable. Please Do something for this. It was a long asked request.

A dark mode would be very welcome! Accessibility becomes more and more  important, also with collaboration tools. So perhaps there could be a “ban” in the future in certain contexts on tools that don’t provide a dark  mode. I DO WANT TO WORK WITH MIRO in the months and years zu come !!!

@Gowtham says it all. Although Miro is an incredibly useful app, lack of a dark mode feature is a deal breaker for many of us including me, who like to take care of their eyes and not mess up their sleep pattern because of glaring white light at night. I keep checking community forum for this feature only. Until it’s implemented really can’t work with miro, 

It’s a hard pill to swallow paying for a product with no dark mode.
The miro team needs to priotize this if they care for their product.
For now, I will refrain as much as possible from using the paid plan and instruct my team to uninstall the app and use miro web app with https://darkreader.org/
See how it goes.

Will be more than happy to puchase a paid plan for my whole team if dark mode was available.
I’ve uninstalled the app and trialling the miro web app using https://darkreader.org/ with chrome. This is not my preferred solution.

+1 for this. Yes please

Miro, can we get a response on this at least? I’m part of at least 5 threads about different, basic features that would make Miro much more pleasant to use and none of them have any responses from the team.

Kindly do something about this

Can we please get the Dark Mode?

It’s quite baffling that it is still not available after so many requests from the community.

I’ve also been trying to find manners to make it look darker but they don’t really help much.
It would be really amazing a feature such as dark/night theme for it.

Is there really no option to change the background color or set a dark mode? I was about to purchase this but without either of those the app is not going to be useable for us.

+1 for dark mode. As someone with disabilities that makes it really hard to cope with bright lights/ white screens I can’t believe that in 2021 accessibility options like dark mode are still considered optional. I cannot justify purchasing a plan since the app is so physically uncomfortable to use causing me to develop migraines and nausea. I’m actually considering dropping Miro altogether and buying a different app.

I can’t fathom the lack. It should be fairly trivial to implement themes and is a very basic usability and accessibility issue. With the large HDR monitors we use in our offices the bright white background causes eyestrain and pain. There is no practical remedy and the suggested large frame background is not only ineffective but reduces the overall usability of the app. It’s a shame because with a few very simple quality of life changes Miro would see a very quick and substantial increase in adoption throughout  the video game, film, virtual production and other industries. I know most of the companies I work with would adopt it quickly if it was in a state we could actually promote it.