Collapsable Frames?

• 17 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

Miro Team,

First and foremost, thank you for such a great product! Miro has become invaluable to day-to-day work with this crazy pandemic going on.

I have a feature request that has been communicated by a lot of folks within VMware. Would it be possible to introduce collapsible Frames? A lot of us primarily are using Miro for doing remote workshops with customers. Conducting remote workshops involves a ton of content that we must cover. So, sometimes we have around 80+ frames. If we could group these frames by topic, it would be more comfortable and less scrolling to find the right frames/topic that we need to cover with the customer. 

Setting up LINKs is a temp option, but our workshops are typically dynamic and free-flowing, so this means sometimes we are not going from Frame1 > Frame2, sometimes it might be Frame1 > Frame50.
Here is a picture of what we are envisioning:

Wishlist post for voting: 

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/collapsable-frames-2709

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jeremy Wheeler - Collapsible frames would definitely be a handy feature! I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know. If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

In the meantime, one approach may be to group frames within frames and use the Frames sidebar to quickly jump to them.

Here’s the sidebar:

And then I can order then frames and click on them:

Userlevel 2

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I have modified the post to include the idea link so people can vote.

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/collapsable-frames-2709

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Voted!

Userlevel 2

So, I did try grouping frames within a frame but that introduces a new challenge. We also need to export these boards as PDF for the customer. Using these frames within frames also exports the parent frame along with all its children as a PDF slide.. not something we want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jeremy Wheeler - Yes, not ideal. Perhaps you could still group the frames by name within the Frames panel, maybe even prefixing the names, is that order would make sense in an export...

Need this badly. So I could collapse drawings in to it's frames when I expand can see zoom in effect

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Jeremy Wheeler @Ravi2021 @Robert Johnson :

Before I read about this wish I often compared frames with slides in PowerPoint. 

A feature like this would take creativity and flexibility of miro into a new dimension. 

I cannot wait to see this in reality 🎆🎇🎉🎉

Michael 

What if not only frames menu can be collapsable, but also some drawing elements as well? In general it allows to control granularity of information on a diagram. 

This feels like the same idea as https://community.miro.com/ideas/hierarchy-of-frames-simpler-than-frames-i-guess-416 - maybe the ideas should be merged to increase the upvotes