Answered

Breakout Groups working within a particular frame while others are working in other frames so that the conversation is specific to just that breakout group

• 16 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a question which you may be able to help me with.  I run workshops of 20 to ‘000’s of people, all of which I use breakout sessions.  I have looked through a load of the Miro functionality, which I really like by the way, but I cannot see if it is possible to have breakout groups working within a particular frame while others are working in other frames so that the conversation is specific to just that breakout group…all at the same time!?  Thanks for the help...

icon

Best answer by Kiron Bondale 16 April 2020, 16:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Iain Menmuir -

One way to do this is to use different frames/areas in the board for different teams - for example, having multiple identical brainstorming frames with each team getting their own stickies. You could use that in conjunction with the meeting breakout room capabilities of Zoom, WebEx or whatever platform you are on.

If the exercise is very elaborate such that a single board may not work well, then you could have exercise-specific boards by team, and then as the facilitator, share the content from a team-level board when they are doing their “report outs”. When I do this, I launch each team-level board in a separate browser tab so that I can quickly flip from one team to the other without having to actually join their meeting rooms (in Zoom or WebEx).

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Hi Kiron, thanks for the reply.  So I’m thinking that the individuals in each workgroup can see and work on their part of the board as well as looking at others boards as well.  I will have a play with this with some mates and see how we get on.  Thanks again.  Iain

sorry - newbie here evaluating Miro as we will be hosting a virtual conference this summer and interested in having breakout groups collaborating with each other and moderators.  There will likely be 10 groups of 8 people and we definitely want the video chat option.   Is this possible with the Team Subscription? There seems to be a limit of 25 people per chat - can we start 10 different ‘sessions’?  Can the “account holder” assign the moderator role to other users or would each moderator require an account?

Thanks,

Bettina

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bettina Hoar -

This would be doable with different boards for each breakout group. You would need to have accounts setup for all participants unless you were going to go with the anonymous guest editor approach in which case only your moderators would need accounts.

Kiron

Thanks for super speedy response - would all 80 participants (including 10 moderators) be able to use the video chat simultaneously (i.e. on different boards, but during the same break out session)?  I’m confused by the 25 person limit - is that at any one time or is that on any one board?  If we have a 9:30 breakout session with 10 groups (each with an anonymous guest editor) - in total up to 80 people - can they all be on video chat at 9:30?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bettina Hoar -

This help article provides more info about the video chat capability: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572214-Video-Chat

It is up to 25 participants at one time and is initiated from a board, hence it would make sense to do it from the individual breakout boards vs. a common board. You could certainly have tend different video chats going at the same time, but the folks in different groups would only be participating in their group’s video chat, not a shared one.

Kiron

@Bettina Hoar -

This help article provides more info about the video chat capability: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572214-Video-Chat

It is up to 25 participants at one time and is initiated from a board, hence it would make sense to do it from the individual breakout boards vs. a common board. 

Kiron

This works well as long as you start from different boards. As soon as you have a main group ( on a main board ) and split up on different boards you need to log in again - so in comparison to zoom where the host can start end end break out sessions it depends on the participants to find their way through the MIRO Workshop chat.

together - split - together again. This is how we work in our workshops, but try to find our way through at the moment still on ZOOM plus MIRO. Ideally it would be only Zoom. How do you do it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Diana Mathioudakis -

We use RingCentral (Zoom under the covers) with Miro without any integration between the two, and it works fine for folks to use multiple boards. They will have each board up in a separate web browser tab and the RingCentral app for video conferencing and screen sharing and no one needs to log in more than once to each app.

Kiron

Userlevel 3

This is my "normal” using Zoom and Miro. If I’ll have four activity groups, I drop four activity templates on the Miro board. I label each activity group “Room 1”, “Room 2”, etc. I often add a sticker so there’s an extra visual cue. I guide learners to look for the activity space that matches their breakout room number, and help their fellow learners to the activity space.

I love that I can see all the learning groups doing the activity simultaneously - it’s almost like being in a physical space classroom. I either cycle through the breakout rooms offering help as needed, or I notice that a group is struggling and help them along.

Here’s an example from an event we did with 24 simultaneous activity groups, on a board that I set up for 50 groups: