You're going to love this Miro & Google announcement 🎉

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Miro's VP of Business Development, Kevin Chung (or "Kev" as we call him 🙂 ) is excited to tell you all about a new strategic partnership with Miro and Google Workspace. 🎉

Two features from our partnership that we think you'll love? Miro for meetings, which will allow you to attach Miro boards to your Google Calendar invites (coming early 2022), and the ability to add Google Docs directly on Miro boards. Watch Kev's video to learn more & share what you love most about Miro and Google on LinkedIn and here in the comments! 

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

This will be such a huge step for Miro, and I cannot wait to see which integrations come next!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is excellent news, @Alexis Luscutoff . I love the idea of being able to add Google Docs directly!

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yeahhhh! Amazing news for our of our Google fans out there! 

Userlevel 7
Badge

This is excellent news, @Alexis Luscutoff . I love the idea of being able to add Google Docs directly!

Kiron

THIS is what got me so excited too @Kiron Bondale! Such possibilities and so much more we can pack in without overwhelming visually. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Kiron Bondale  @Jonathan White I love your enthusiasm and I certainly share it! Oh my gosh adding Google docs to Miro boards has fundamentally changed my workflow. It means we get to see everything in one place. :heart_eyes:  So simple but so powerful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I wonder if this partnership is a sign of an untimely demise of yet another Google initiative: Jamboard (if only MS Whiteboard would follow).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

this is great news - perhaps Google image search will return as well!  :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I noticed a change since Google Drive outage from a few days ago--a change that I am pretty sure is new…?

Previously, the only way to embed a Google Drive doc into a Miro board required the following two conditions to be true:

1. you needed to authorize Miro to be able to access your Google Drive; and
  2. you had to install and use the Miro Marketplace Google Drive app to browse to the doc (Document, Sheet, Slide) that you wanted to embed in the board.

Once a change was recently made, which took down the Google Drive app, if

1. my Miro is authorized to access my Google Drive; and
  2. I paste a Google Drive document link onto my Miro board, now the Google Drive doc embeds into the board, just like it used to with uploading it using the Marketplace Google Drive app. Previously a regular external link was placed on the board.

One note to folks reading this--and this is likely a bug: When I paste the Google Drive doc link onto a Miro board, I get the warning:

However, there is no way to authorize my Google Drive account. If I cancel the above message, refresh the board, and try again, I get:

And then:

Once the document is embedded, the experience is the same - the document opens in a modal window on the Miro board - just like demonstrated in the video on this page:

https://miro.com/works-with-google/

All of that being said, I am just trying to make sense whether or not the end-user experience of interacting with Google Drive & Calendar will be any different than it is right now using existing apps/integrations.

So, @Kiron Bondale, re:

I love the idea of being able to add Google Docs directly!

What does that mean to you? How do you see this working compared to the way it works now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And as I continue to think about this, I suppose that real benefit for Workspace subscribers is that, as more integrations are added, as long as they have the Miro app installed from the Google Workspace Marketplace, then all of the integrations that exist today--along with future ones, exclusive to Workspace users--will “just work” vs non-Workspace users having to install multiple apps/add-ons, e.g., the Miro Marketplace Google Drive app or the Miro for Google Calendar browser extension.

As it stands, I do have Google Workspace for Individual and do not yet see the integration listed during the Miro/Google Workspace app installation:

https://miro.com/blog/miro-google-workspace/

Takes me here → https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/miro/1062019541050

And the install process:

Anyway… if anyone at Miro wants to having a boring technical discussion on who exactly all of this will work behind-the-scenes, I’m down for some nerdy talk :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How exciting :heart_eyes:

Can’t wait to see the Meet & Miro integration live!

Just a quick question to everyone: did you know that the Miro integration with Google Docs and Sheets was launched more that 5 years ago? :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge

haha @Marina yes I did (well I knew when I started using Miro!) This just makes it all so much smoother, very exciting.

Userlevel 2

I noticed a change since Google Drive outage from a few days ago--a change that I am pretty sure is new…?

Previously, the only way to embed a Google Drive doc into a Miro board required the following two conditions to be true:

1. you needed to authorize Miro to be able to access your Google Drive; and
  2. you had to install and use the Miro Marketplace Google Drive app to browse to the doc (Document, Sheet, Slide) that you wanted to embed in the board.

Once a change was recently made, which took down the Google Drive app, if

1. my Miro is authorized to access my Google Drive; and
  2. I paste a Google Drive document link onto my Miro board, now the Google Drive doc embeds into the board, just like it used to with uploading it using the Marketplace Google Drive app. Previously a regular external link was placed on the board.

One note to folks reading this--and this is likely a bug: When I paste the Google Drive doc link onto a Miro board, I get the warning:

However, there is no way to authorize my Google Drive account. If I cancel the above message, refresh the board, and try again, I get:

And then:

Once the document is embedded, the experience is the same - the document opens in a modal window on the Miro board - just like demonstrated in the video on this page:

https://miro.com/works-with-google/

All of that being said, I am just trying to make sense whether or not the end-user experience of interacting with Google Drive & Calendar will be any different than it is right now using existing apps/integrations.

So, @Kiron Bondale, re:

I love the idea of being able to add Google Docs directly!

What does that mean to you? How do you see this working compared to the way it works now?

Hi @Robert Johnson,

My name is Anton, and I am an integrations product manager at Miro.
I want to bring more transparency to how Google Drive integration works.

To import a document from Google Drive (by pasting a link from the clipboard or via the upload button on the toolbar), you need to have Google Drive connected in AccountSettings → Profile Settings → Integrations → Google Drive.

👍You will be able to import Google docs to the board and edit them without leaving the board.

☝️You don't need to have our app installed on the Google Drive side to do this. Our app only needs to be installed on the Google Drive side to create new boards directly from Google Drive.

⚠️There is a next little thing: if you uninstall our app on the Google Drive side, all Google tokens on the Miro side are automatically revoked, and adding documents to the board starts working exactly as you describe.

By the way, thank you very much for this finding and for your work in the community! 🙌
Totally agree that all this broken flow can confuse users and needs to be improved.

Ready for further discussion if I got you wrong.

See also my response in the neighboring thread.

Userlevel 2

And as I continue to think about this, I suppose that real benefit for Workspace subscribers is that, as more integrations are added, as long as they have the Miro app installed from the Google Workspace Marketplace, then all of the integrations that exist today--along with future ones, exclusive to Workspace users--will “just work” vs non-Workspace users having to install multiple apps/add-ons, e.g., the Miro Marketplace Google Drive app or the Miro for Google Calendar browser extension.

As it stands, I do have Google Workspace for Individual and do not yet see the integration listed during the Miro/Google Workspace app installation:

https://miro.com/blog/miro-google-workspace/

Takes me here → https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/miro/1062019541050

And the install process:

Anyway… if anyone at Miro wants to having a boring technical discussion on who exactly all of this will work behind-the-scenes, I’m down for some nerdy talk :nerd:

Hey @Robert Johnson,

Overall, it looks like a good idea to me 👍

We have some fundamental limitations in the product that have been with us since day one of the integrations. A number of our integrations are personal (related to a specific user profile). Still, users and big enterprises currently expect that no applications and integrations can be personal but must be considered from the team's standpoint in which the user works. 

If Google Drive is not allowed in a particular organization, then the user should not have the ability to install and connect it. In practice now, a user can install it for themselves, and it will be available not only in the personal team but also in the enterprise subscription teams that the user is a part of.

🏳All of this sometimes leads to ambiguous situations, and the default behavior becomes even less appropriate.

We are now evaluating the idea of changing how personal integrations (available in AccountSettings → Profile Settings → Integrations) work at all. This will most likely lead to the change in behavior you mentioned above.

Although this is an amazing announcment it looks like your still falling short when it comes to videos in Google Drive. 

Have i missed something? Is it just a diet integration and you’re continuing to block video being shared from Google Drive despite this partnership?  

Userlevel 2

Hey @YupYup,

Thanks for the question. It's not about Google. It's about the fact that we don't allow to upload videos to the board from anywhere — neither from local or cloud storage.

But you can embed videos stored on GoogleDrive using an iframe widget. Don't forget to share the video in GoogleDrive so that everyone on the board can see it :)