Skip to main content

I’m using the bulk endpoint (https://developers.miro.com/reference/get-items) to get specific item type on a board. My first call I use the endpoint with the following params: “?type=sticky_note&limit=50” in order to get the first 50 sticky notes. This works as expected and I get the sticky notes with geometry, data, position, and style.

However, when I run the same query but with “?type=shape&limit=50”, I can the same results minus the shape styles. This is annoying since I would have to the re-query (I think) for each shape to the specific shape endpoint (https://developers.miro.com/reference/get-shape-item) to get the styles.

I would’ve expected the bulk endpoint to just give them to me.
Is there a reason it’s doing this? Am I missing something?

Hey @spoke_dan,

Welcome, and thanks for reaching out about this! Regarding your question about listing items in bulk using the GET Items endpoint, I believe this endpoint should return styles and geometry details for sticky notes and shapes alike. When I do a quick test from my end, using the shape query param, I get back all the style details:

Do you still see the missing details when you try to test the same request in our docs, via cURL, etc.? Any additional details you can share will help me to reproduce it on my end.

Thanks!
Will

Here are 2 screenshots of the request URL and the returned data. I made the same requests on the same board using the same access token in both requests. 

Here are both:

Hmm it seems that when I use a board that was populated by a template, the styles aren’t returned. But if I create those shapes manually, they contain styles. Still digging as to why but seems to work now.

Could you try using a template to generate shapes on a board, make the bulk items request, and see if you also don’t get styles returned?

Hey @spoke_dan,

Thanks a lot for sharing these additional details and confirming that you were leveraging a template for the shapes in question—I better understand what the issue is now. At this time, I’m afraid templates are not fully supported by our REST API, and as a result not all the item properties are returned for shapes that are part of a template. 

While the REST API does support reading geometry details for all unsupported items, additional details like style, as you’ve noticed, are not yet supported. Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for pointing this out—we’re always looking to improve our platform capabilities and I can certainly understand why supporting templates via API would be valuable.

I’ve passed this feedback along to our team and I hope it helps to clarify the expected behavior, but let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Thanks,
Will