general area for keyboard shortcuts

• 10 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

the keyboard shortcuts should all be on either the right or left side of the keyboard as opposed to being name related (P for pen, T for text, etc.). this makes it very hard to operate one-handed. if my right hand is on the mouse, my left hand is on the left side of my keyboard. i don’t want to make my right hand leave the mouse nor drag my left hand to the right side of the keyboard.

at the least, this shoudl be an option to choose from.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey @shawng,

Great suggestion. While having (P) for pen, (T) for Text makes it easier to remember, i agree that you increase travel which isn’t great.

I will forward your suggestion to the accessibility team (since this is also great for people with limited motor skills).

Cheers,
Mettin

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey Shawn,

I got word from the team and they mentioned that you can use the digit keys to select tools also. These are in order, so the top tool is 1, the one below is 2 etc.

Since you can drag the tools to change the order, you could place your most used ones up top and have less travel whilst using keyboard shortcuts. 

Having user defined shortcuts is something they would like to work on one day, but no ETA on that unfortunately.

Hope this helps,
Mettin

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

For a visual, keys 1-9 (on the top of a keyboard, or a number bad) will execute apps/tools in the order that they appear in in the left-vertical creation toolbar:

(Note: The select cursor/number 1 cannot be moved.)