Answered

Can a custom web plugin be installed for individual users and boards?

• 17 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi.

I have created s simple “Web-plugin,” which I have successfully installed for the Dev Team.  Every developer can see the new plugin button in the toolbar when they go to a Dev Team board.

What I would like to do is let individual users in my company (or individual boards) use the plugin.  However, since we have about 1,000 employees around the world, I don’t want to install the plugin for all of them.

Is there a way to accomplish this?  On a single Miro board, there appears to be a way to add a plugin just to that board, but the UI only shows plugins in the Marketplace, not our custom plugin.  When I use the “Install App and get OAuth token” button on the developer screen, I get a choice of teams, but I only see our top-level company team, not the individual project teams within the company.

Am I overlooking a way to share the plugin at a more individual level?

Thanks.
Sheldon

icon

Best answer by Boris Borodyansky 18 April 2020, 02:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Sheldon!

I understand there are some things unclear with current app distribution logic, and we'll make sure documentation answers these questions in the near future.

Regarding your question:

• apps are installed for the whole team and can be used by all users on all boards by default 
  • In the code of your plugin you can set plugin icon to appear only to those users who already authorized the plugin 
  • If plugin requires access to content of the board, or user list, or any other scopes- protected data, user will have to authorize the plugin before working with it.
  • For such cases you can check if user is authorized, and suggest user to authorize the plugin in case user is not authorized
  • For multi-team environments (such as Enterprise and Consultants) you'd need to have first user install the app before everyone can see it on their boaeds

Please let me know if this was helpful, and if I missed to answer any of your questions 🙌

Hi, Boris.

Thank you.  That is very helpful.

It turned out that the admin of our enterprise could create a second “top-level” team, which let me install the plugin for a subset of the employees.  However, I haven’t tested an app that modifies board content yet (just an “alert” popup).  Your points above should be helpful when I test board modifications this week.

Thanks again,
Sheldon

Hi Boris,

Just to add to this - for most users, the prospect of going into the app to add read/write permissions is pretty alien, and too big an ask for day-pass / guest collaborators. Is there no way of installing the plugin so that all members of a team can use the plugin immediately as they do with the Miro plug-ins?

Thanks, Finn