Creating a detailed Venture Map (Strategy, Marketing, Funnel, fulfillment)

• 23 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi everyone, 

I am a U.S. Marine Veteran and have been working on a passion project in Miro for a while and would like to share it with the community for feedback. In the tactical components of the military we use a tool called a terrain model (see image 1). These terrain models provide the organization’s leadership and team members with a depiction of an operational environment. Moreover, these terrain models allow for “strategic overlays” where we can visually demonstrate our plan to ensure everyone is on the same page. This is a tool that has been used, to great success, for many years in the military because of its undeniable effectiveness. 

While working to take my personal training business online, I became frustrated with how siloed and fragmented the software space was. It seemed like I was only able to a view a single piece of the map at one time. I wanted the ability to see the entirety of my business in one place. So I searched far and wide for this type of solution. Although I discovered brilliant frameworks from the fields like Service Blueprints, Business Architecture, Funnel Design, and Customer Journey Mapping, I never found exactly what I was actually looking for… A “business terrain model”. 

Together with an associate, I began to work on what is now called The Venture Map. 

Showing the venture map is much better than explaining it, I shot a quick loom video to provide further insight: https://www.loom.com/share/8cba3b801ef1489ca5972537dbd7a17b

My questions to the community are, has anyone else out there been successful at mapping out the entirety of their business/organization without the board devolving into chaos? What axis did you use to frame out the order of operations for your map? 

I’d love to connect with other Miro Community members who feel passionate about this kind of work as well! Please let me know you’re out there! 

Best, 

Logan Skees

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Max Harper 

Thank you!!

What awesome insights!! I appreciate your response, those resources are very exciting. 
Let’s connect and keep the conversation going! 

I’ll reach out directly on LinkedIn!

Talk soon,

Logan 

That is really helpful recommendation and info. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Really love your Loom walkthrough, @Logan Skees!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi everyone, thank you all very much for the replies to my original post 6 months ago! Wow, time flies! 

I just recorded a quick ‘update’ video to share a little more insight into how the Venture Map has evolved since the last video. If you’d like to start your own Venture Map, you can do so for free through our new Miroverse template! Free Venture Map Template