Why does Miro need so much RAM?

• 16 February 2022
  • 9 replies

I had a board open with two PDF documents (each 1MB) and some sticky’s and shapes on it, and the Miro application needed 5 GB RAM. There was no other user on the board at the same moment.

Why is this so? And is this acceptable from a Miro point of view?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Richard Wielend -

Could you clarify whether you are talking about the desktop app or accessing Miro via a browser?

I’ve opened three boards through my desktop app and the one in focus has tons of objects and you can see it is using under 1 GB of RAM. I’m running version 0.7.2 of the app...

Kiron

Hi Kiron,

thanks a lot for looking into this. Today Miro is running much smoother and I can “only” see a RAM consumption of 3GB, it’s a pity I didn’t create a screenshot yesterday.

I’m running the desktop app 2.1.2

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Richard Wielend -

It might be worth uninstalling that version of the app and re-installing it directly from Miro’s website as even 3 GB seems to be quite high.

Kiron

Ok, thanks a lot. I installed the version from Microsoft store, is this version controlled by Miro?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Richard Wielend -

I believe so - I have seen past issues shared by community members when they used a different version of the app, so I’ve always gone with the one from Miro.com myself.

Kiron

Hi Kiron,

Yesterday after I installed the version from Miro, I saw a real difference. When I had opened the same boards the RAM consumption decreased from 3GB → 800MB

Today the RAM consumption is again enormous.

Do you have another idea to decrease RAM consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Richard Wielend -

When you expand the Miro row, are you seeing 12 separate instances of the Miro app? Were 12 boards open at that time? 

Kiron

Hi Kiron, I had 4 boards open and here are the expanded tasks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Richard Wielend -

It would be interesting to do some testing such as closing each of the boards in turn and seeing why is causing the biggest memory consumption. Then try re-opening it and see how long it takes to get to that much consumption…

Kiron