What zoom size do you start your boards on?

• 16 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello dear Miro community! :cowboy:

Lately I’ve been thinking a bit about zoom size. When creating a new board, you always start at 100%. That’s also the default zoom when a user visits your board for the first time.

So my question is quite simple:

Do you always start at 100% zoom when creating new boards in Miro?

:thinking:

Or do you have another starting point? If you do create them in “default mode” of 100% zoom, do you try to fit everything in the viewport? Do you create frames with the same zoom size?

Maybe @Kyle Chipman has some best structural best practice advice on the matter? :innocent:

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

100% 100%, always.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Henrik Ståhl -

I usually start at 100% and try to maintain the size of my custom frames to comfortably fit contents at that zoom level. In general, I like to have consistent typefaces and shape sizes throughout so folks are not having to constantly zoom in and out. This also makes for an esthetically pleasing output as each PDF page’s look & feel is consistent.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge

I have definitely started at a board at a much smaller number than 100% and it was obviously a DISASTER. I have since learned. haha! :scream:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Robert Johnson I 100% see what you did there… Well played! 😉

@Colleen Curtis Haha, I think we've all managed to  make that exact mistake, have we not? 😅

@Kiron Bondale You mean you try to fit all content into the 100% zoom viewport, or you mean you create each frame in a full 100% scale?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Henrik Ståhl -

What I meant is that I try to make all the content within a given frame fit on my laptop screen at the 100% zoom level without the need to scroll or zoom out. 

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiron Bondale Ah, interesting! So 100% is the farthest you zoom out, but you zoom in to see some of the content more clearly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Henrik Ståhl -

I try to avoid folks having to zoom out greater than 100% if possible, but sometimes if I have one particular exercise which is much bigger (board wise) than the others, there may not be an alternative. However, for more detailed content, yes, zooming in is the more common activity. A good example of this is with sticky notes - the more text you add, the smaller the typeface gets so zooming becomes necessary. 

I had one exercise where I had folks write user stories and then later add acceptance criteria to those user stories. The challenge was that the text was getting way too small, so I modified the approach to instead have them use comments on the sticky notes so that the sticky note only contained the user story summary. This is pretty consistent with the “old school” index cards way of writing user stories where the story summary would be on the front and then the conversation & confirmation portions would be on the back of the card.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiron Bondale Thanks for explaining! 🙏 I haven't really given zoom size much thought until now. Will definitely try your and Robert's approach of containing zoom to a maximum of 100% 👌

Regarding the exercise, it sounds like you should have used cards instead? 😉