Understanding Permissions

• 21 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Active Contributor
  • 21 replies

I want to make sure I am understanding permissions. 

I want most/all boards in a Project. I want that project to see and edit all of the boards in the project. (I consider them a Team, but I think in Miro nomenclature, everyone in the whole instance is a Team).

What is the setting that makes all Boards that are in a Project to be restricted? Does that setting happen only at board creation time, or if I move an existing Board into a Project, does the access setting change?

Thanks,

Rob.

Robert Johnson 3 years ago

Okay, I think I finally understand Project permissions better. I’ll say thanks to both @RobOK for starting this post and to @Kiron Bondale for explaining some of the permissions. This post has given me the excuse to finally dig into and try to understand all of the permission options in Miro.

I believe I have found a scenario where project permission settings trump board settings, and this scenario appears to be a way to create sub-teams using projects. By the way, @RobOK, you are correct in what you said at the beginning: All users associated with a Miro plan are referred to as Team members.

Here’s what I found using the Education Plan (it’s only me in my Consultant Plan, so I couldn’t test, but my spouse gave me a seat on her Education Plan):

1. I created a Project called Rob and left Anyone in your team can view this project set to the default of OFF.
  2. I logged in as my spouse and confirmed that she could not see it.
  3. I created two new boards - one from within the project and one from outside of the project, i.e., I clicked on All boards and created it from there).
  4. The default permissions in her Education Plan > Team profile > Permissions > Sharing Settings > Default settings for board sharing was set to Anyone in the team can edit
  5. I went back to the dashboard as my spouse and confirmed that she could still not see my project Rob, but could see both of the boards as the board permissions were set to Anyone in the team can edit. I then tested that she could edit both of the them.
  6. I then changed both boards’ Share settings to: Team access to board = No access.
  7. I then went back in as my spouse and, sure enough, she could no longer see the boards and could no longer see the boards and could still not see my project.
  8. Then, as myself agian, I went into the project, clicked on the name, and added my spouse to the project with edit access:
  9. I then logged back in as my spouse and now she can see my project Rob, the boards - both in All boards and from within the project, and she can edit the boards.
  10. I then did one last test of adding my junk email Gmail address to the team in my spouse’s Education Plan and that team member could not see project Rob or the boards.

Unless I got my browser windows/Miro accounts mixed up in the process, it looks like you can create projects, make them so no one on the team can view them, add select team members to the project with edit access to the boards in that project, and then set all boards share settings as Team access to the board → No access.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@RobOK -

While you can grant access at the project-level, board-level access trumps that so it is always possible to provide greater access at an individual board level within a project to a user within your team.

Kiron

Userlevel 2

Right… so if a board starts “in the open”, not in any Project, and them move it INTO a Project, it will still be open to all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@RobOK -

Yes, I just did a test where I created a new project with no permissions provided to my team and then moved an existing board which had view permissions for my team into that project and when I checked the board’s share settings they still reflected the original permissions.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RobOK -

Yes, I just did a test where I created a new project with no permissions provided to my team and then moved an existing board which had view permissions for my team into that project and when I checked the board’s share settings they still reflected the original permissions.

Kiron

@Kiron BondaleI’m just curious, if you had that test in place still, if you then updated the project's share settings, does that update the board’s share settings? Or perhaps the project share settings are only ever applied at the time a board is created from with that project? I suppose I could just test this myself tomorrow as I suppose I don't really need to know this at 7:16pm on a Friday night (or do I?) :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Okay, I think I finally understand Project permissions better. I’ll say thanks to both @RobOK for starting this post and to @Kiron Bondale for explaining some of the permissions. This post has given me the excuse to finally dig into and try to understand all of the permission options in Miro.

I believe I have found a scenario where project permission settings trump board settings, and this scenario appears to be a way to create sub-teams using projects. By the way, @RobOK, you are correct in what you said at the beginning: All users associated with a Miro plan are referred to as Team members.

Here’s what I found using the Education Plan (it’s only me in my Consultant Plan, so I couldn’t test, but my spouse gave me a seat on her Education Plan):

1. I created a Project called Rob and left Anyone in your team can view this project set to the default of OFF.
  2. I logged in as my spouse and confirmed that she could not see it.
  3. I created two new boards - one from within the project and one from outside of the project, i.e., I clicked on All boards and created it from there).
  4. The default permissions in her Education Plan > Team profile > Permissions > Sharing Settings > Default settings for board sharing was set to Anyone in the team can edit
  5. I went back to the dashboard as my spouse and confirmed that she could still not see my project Rob, but could see both of the boards as the board permissions were set to Anyone in the team can edit. I then tested that she could edit both of the them.
  6. I then changed both boards’ Share settings to: Team access to board = No access.
  7. I then went back in as my spouse and, sure enough, she could no longer see the boards and could no longer see the boards and could still not see my project.
  8. Then, as myself agian, I went into the project, clicked on the name, and added my spouse to the project with edit access:
  9. I then logged back in as my spouse and now she can see my project Rob, the boards - both in All boards and from within the project, and she can edit the boards.
  10. I then did one last test of adding my junk email Gmail address to the team in my spouse’s Education Plan and that team member could not see project Rob or the boards.

Unless I got my browser windows/Miro accounts mixed up in the process, it looks like you can create projects, make them so no one on the team can view them, add select team members to the project with edit access to the boards in that project, and then set all boards share settings as Team access to the board → No access.

Userlevel 2

I am not sure i 100% follow, but it does seem like the permissions is a little wonky if we are all a bit confused!

To me it would help to have better terminology between people in your Miro instance and people assigned to a project. I don’t care what the words are, but it has mixed me up some.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

All of the roles/permissions do take some time to get used to.

You may want to read these help articles:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RobOK - I just wanted to update you that that Miro has confirmed the relationship between Projects/Board-level permission and updated the wording in the Projects help article. Here's a link with more information if you're interested: https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/controlling-access-to-specific-boards-within-a-project-for-project-members-1811?postid=7417#post7417