Answered

Tips for compartmentalizing the board size

• 22 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I am looking for tips how to reduce the loading time. I am a teacher, and every lesson my students and I add new material to the existing board: pdfs, images, links, and handwritten work. It is great for keeping all resources in one place, but the loading time is growing, especially for my students on tablets.

Is there a way to compartmentalize the board such that there is an “archive” section that doesn’t preload unless accessed? So that we can keep all the current frames loaded, but the rest of the frames is ignored? I feel like the functionality is probably already there and I just don’t know it yet.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 22 January 2021, 14:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Celesta - Putting the "archived" objects into a frame and then using the hidden frames feature may stop those objects from loading until you show/unhide that frame.

Note: Only the board owner can use this feature, which may be perfect given your scenario.

To test this, I'd suggest putting a giant frame around your entire (or most of) board's contents, hide it, close the board (and even your browser/Miro app) and go back into the board and see if it loads quicker.

Userlevel 1

Hi Robert, thank you for this suggestion. I tried it today, and it worked.

When I overlayed one big frame around the board’s content, it didn’t automatically group with existing frames, but did group with images, pdf files and handwriting. I added other frames by shift+mouse, moved them to a “corner” of the board and hid the entire group. I will observe tomorrow if the board loads faster for my students.

Userlevel 1

Update: It does work, but partially. Drawing a new frame around the workspace adds all the documents, images, and handwriting to that new frame, which can then be hidden, and it appears that the content on the hidden frame is not preloaded, which is a win. On the other hand, existing frames don’t get added to the new frame. I have to manually group them and hide one by one, otherwise the frames still load, even if visually they are behind a big hidden frame. I wonder if there is a quicker way to group frames and hide them all.

Userlevel 1

I made a video to show the issue, using Loom, but the URL from Loom is not a “supported domain”, and there is no other way to embed a video.

Userlevel 1

I just had a brain wave. In board settings, there is an option to select which area of the screen the visitors see (Set Start View). Once I used it to limit the start view to the frames currently used, it felt like the page loaded much faster. I’ll monitor if it is consistently better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Celesta - Tip: When you post a Loom video link, immediately after you do, use Ctrl/Cmd+V to “undo” and it should then display the link instead of trying to embed it.